Author Topic: Missing word - Challenge 28 August  (Read 1858 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Missing word - Challenge 28 August
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:41:32 AM »
My COD shows 'radioes' as the third person singular of the verb 'to radio' along with 'radioed' as the past participle. 'Radioed' was allowed as common, but 'radioes' was 'Sorry, not known'. Obviously 'radios', the plural of the noun was not allowed.
MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Missing word - Challenge 28 August
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
Scrolling through the backlog, I thought this one should be fairly straightforward. In fact, the dictionaries are divided in their guidance on inflecting the verb radio. A number of the Oxford dictionaries, like the one you use, MK, give radioes as the spelling, but others (Collins, American Heritage, Wiktionary) say radios. Others say nothing, which should mean the verb is regular, but what does that mean when the word ends with an o?

The full OED gives guidance only on the paste tense and past participle: either radioed or radio'd. The only relevant citation uses radios:

As soon as the observer spots a shoal of fish, he marks a square on the chart,..and at once radios to the port.

As far as usage is concerned, radios seems to be used a lot more often than radioes, when the word is used as a verb. Still radioes does appear occasionally, and doesn't look wrong to me. For example a photo caption on the Canadian CBC website:

Hiding behind a tree, an RCMP spotter radioes ahead when he sees a driver illegally using a cellphone.

I agree that radioes should be accepted, but in view of its infrequent usage, I'll make it a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites