Author Topic: Dero  (Read 2852 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Dero
« on: May 27, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »
 Alan.....how about "dero" ? Short for derelict, that is. If the Americans can have "hobo", can't we have "dero" ? Unless there are subtle linguistic nuances that I'm not aware of. Sorry....that should read "of which I am not aware" . Can't split infinitives when applying to our GAGL !

:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dero
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
There's no split infinitive there, Binkie. That was a sentence ending with a preposition - a completely different transgression. But I'm willing to overlook it, in either case.

[Actually, the foremost authorities on English usage have been advising for the best part of a hundred years that there is no reason to ban either of these practices. Fowler said it was a "cherished superstition" that a sentence must not end with a preposition.]

Anyhow... As far as dero is concerned, it is a genuine Australian (and NZ) word, also sometimes written as derro. I think it has a more judgemental flavour than hobo. It has been defined as "a vagrant, especially one dependant upon alcohol". But a derogatory meaning does not disbar it as a Chi word - a word is a word is a word. So i'll add it to the list in due course.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
Thankyou, He Who Knows All. You are quite right, naturally, about my sentence, and I am most grateful for your forbearance. Dare not write any more in case any further grammatical errors reveal the depth of my ignorance.  :D  :D  :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »
I no how to spel ,reed nd rite gud cos i had a gud ejucashun eversyns i was a likkle children...nd if u ar gonna spliut fings i wood b cairful..speshally if its ur infinitive...nd i downt fink u shood b makin proposishons 2 peepol that u havnt liked ther eers yet...
eyem supprized at u binks i yam....
 ;)