Author Topic: Heroics  (Read 1835 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Heroics
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:34:47 AM »
I unsuccessfully tried the word heroics in yesterday's Challenge puzzle on the basis that it is neither a plural nor a verb form (as far as I know heroic isn't a singular noun and there is no verb to heroic.)  I thought it might be in same category as tongs which is allowed because, depite the 's' ending, it's not a plural or verb form.  I'd suggest that heroics should be allowed on the same basis.       

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Heroics
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
I agree. A similar word might be 'politics', since it is neither a plural form or an inflected verb form. I can't remember 'politics' ever coming in a chi game; I wonder if it would be allowed/
MK

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:48:54 PM »
I also remember trying optics a while ago and that wasn't allowed either.  Physics is another one like that - not sure if that's allowed.  In fact, there are probably quite a few words that end in 'ics' that would fall into the same category.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »
'physics' is Ok - I think I remember raising that point a couple of years ago; the science 'physics' is obviously different from the plural of the word meaning 'medicine'. Not sure about 'optics' - in UK 'an optic' is a device a barman uses to measure spirits - the plural of that would be 'optics'. It probably comes down to which of the meanings of the word Alan considers most common.
MK