Author Topic: A question for you Americans  (Read 6103 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
A question for you Americans
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
The wife of the American president is known as the first lady. If you were ever to have a female president, what would her husband be known as? Come to think of it, do you have titles for spouses of heads of state in other parts of the world?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: A question for you Americans
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
'im indoors?
Man about the House?
best man?
best mate?
whatsisname?
MK

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
Hey Pat, here in South Africa we have a First Lady, Second Lady, Third Lady and a Fourth and Fifth on the way  :-P Not to mention at least 23 children!!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »
Hey Pat, here in South Africa we have a First Lady, Second Lady, Third Lady and a Fourth and Fifth on the way  :-P Not to mention at least 23 children!!

Say what???

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
While this has obviously never happened, it could have happened if Hillary Clinton had won the Democratic nomination in 2008, and had subsequently been elected President.

I don't know that there is a specific designation for this—I'm thinking "First Husband"; certainly "First Spouse" would be correct.

(The mother of First Lady Michelle Obama is called "First Grandmother".)

In the case of Hillary Clinton having been elected President, Bill Clinton could also have been called "Mr. President".  He is often called "Mr. President" now when he is interviewed by new media.

I know this isn't the original question, but what was Margaret Thatcher's husband called when she was Prime Minister?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »
I know this isn't the original question, but what was Margaret Thatcher's husband called when she was Prime Minister?

Dennis!

Sorry, AQ, couldn't resist that. As far as I recall he didn't have a title as such. When he was referred to it was generally as 'the prime minister's husband'. Similarly, David Cameron's wife is generally referred to as 'the prime minister's wife' or, surprise, 'Sam Cam'. Here in the UK, ministers' spouses are treated with much less reverence than your first ladies.

Isn't it the case that all your ex-presidents are still referred to as 'Mr. President'?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:46:33 PM by pat »

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
Pat,

I believe you are correct in that all our ex-Presidents are called "Mr. President".

I notice that our media continues to refer to any prominent person (I'm thinking government) by their former title once they no longer hold the title.  For example, Madeleine Albright is still referred to as Madame Secretary, as she was Secretary of State during Bill Clinton's administration. Ex-senators are still referred to as "Senator".

One thing I've noticed during the past several years—President Obama is often referred to as "Mr. Obama" in the media when he is NOT being interviewed.  I don't particularly recall any previous presidents being referred to as "Mr. XXX" while they were president.

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »
Alonzo Quixote - I have noticed the same thing and wondered about it, ie "Mr Obama".  Is it considered disrespectful in the States?

Pat - yup, polygamous marriage - President Zuma (no respect intended) has added one wife, two fiancees and, at last count, four children (two with mistresses) during his two year term.  And yes, we the taxpayers pay for it all  :laugh: :laugh:

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 02:44:48 AM »
Hello Gay Christine—

I am uncertain whether the use of "Mr. Obama" is considered disrespectful in the USA.  When President Obama is interviewed, he is called Mr. President.  

I noticed this when I first heard it several years ago and continue to notice it.  It struck me as different when I first heard it and it continues to strike me as different.

I cannot recall whether any previous president was referred to as "Mr. XXX".

What is disrespectful is the name calling that is going on in our primary elections in each state in advance of the Presidential election in November. Some Republican presidential candidates are disrespectful to the other candidates who are in contention for the Republican nomination.  Some of the Republican presidential candidates are disrespectful to President Obama.  Some people might call it  mud slinging.

Large amounts of money are spent on political campaign advertising (primarily on television)...some would say the money spent represents an obscenely large amount of money...  It's in the tens of millions of dollars.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:50:29 AM by Alonzo Quixote »

sprite

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 07:01:15 AM »
How about Premier Partner?  :laugh:

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »
I think most of the suggestions I've heard from broadcasters has been 'first husband', so I suspect, when the situation eventually arises, that will be what is used.

I think it has been common for awhile to refer to the president as 'Mr <surname>' in writing, typically after an initial 'President <surname>'. I suspect the various news outlets have their style manuals which dictate how to use it. Our language has an aversion to repetition so 'Mr <surname>' provides an alternative to 'President <surname" and 'the president'. Incidentally, when I was in school, when referring to the president of the U.S., it was always supposed to be capitalised, but back in the 70s or 80s, most style manuals changed it to only being capitalised when used with the surname.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
Actually, I think the answer is rather obvious.  "First Gentleman" which is the male equivalent of First Lady.  OTOH, it would have been fascinating if Hilary Clinton had become President.  I guess that would be Madam and Mr President making it seem like we had two Presidents at once.
Stevens Point, WI

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »
A minor comment on AQ's observation, that President Obama has been referred to as Mr. Obama:

A listener brought this up over the radio.  We were informed that when there is a story pertaining to the President, it is customary for him to be referred to as "President (surname)" when he is first mentioned, and then he is referred to as "Mr. (surname)" throughout the rest of that piece.

I did not know this, but it appears to have been a custom for several decades.

- A  :)
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
We have a female Prime Minister in Australia at the moment.  Her partner (they're not married) is widely known as the 'First Bloke', though that's not an official title.  Very Australian! 

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
So when you have a male PM, Morbius, is his partner known colloquially as the 'First Sheila'?

;D