Author Topic: JUST CURIOUS  (Read 9592 times)

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • View Profile
JUST CURIOUS
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:56:33 PM »
I am curious as to how you all approach the puzzles. Do you pick a letter and find all words beginning with it, then move on to another letter, etc, or do you just randomly enter words as you see them?  Also, do you make a concerted effort to find the main word (by working on the various common suffixes and prefixes) or just wait until it jumps out at you?

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: JUST CURIOUS
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:06:49 AM »
For me, the answer is "yes."  I try all the methods, and then resort to using the button to scramble all the letters and see if anything else pops up.  I also find out that if I've got stuck, I go away for a while and then come back, and frequently find quite a few more.

But you'll notice I'm never at the top of the list!

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:13:11 AM »
Scramble?  Is that the "shuffle" button bottom left?  I've been meaning to ask what that is!!  So I won't lose the words I have if I press that? 

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:37 AM »
Sometimes I begin by entering words as I think of them, but occasionally I'll try to find words beginning with a particular letter. However, the latter method tends to quickly transition into the former, especially if I have a word that is an exact anagram of other words. Some of my favourites:
  • emit / item / mite / time
  • diet / edit / tide / tied
  • saint / satin / stain
  • alert / alter / later
  • trail / trial
  • amen / mane / mean / name
I'd rather get the exact anagrams entered than risk thinking I've entered them without doing so. (I'm curious if others mentally connect anagrams as I do and if they have favourite anagrams besides the ones I've listed?)

I look for constructing words using common prefixes and suffixes, -ing may be the most common in Chi. I don't use the mouse. I type the letters (I have to make sure I have the right keyboard selected!) and press the Enter key to submit a word. I use the zero on the 10-key pad (the other zero will also work) to shuffle the letters. (The left-pointing arrow between the 10-key pad and the main keyboard clears letters.) I don't find it common to have the letters arrange themselves into a word, but often the arrangement will be close enough to a word to make me think of it. I find the shuffle an invaluable tool and use it with every puzzle.

If I'm really struggling with a puzzle, I will systematically arrange three letters and examine them for possible words. For example, in the puzzle which will close in about an hour as I write this:
  • dee-
  • dei-
  • dem-
  • den-
  • deo-
  • des-
  • det-
  • ede-
  • edi-
  • edm-
  • edn-
  • edo-
  • eds-
  • ets-
etc.

Of course, some combinations can be quickly ignored (e.g. 'tdn'). I generally limit it to the first three letters simply because more would be too tedious and time-consuming for me. (I spend too much time on Chi as it is.)

Like Birdy, I often find it helpful to take breaks from a puzzle and come back to it. It is amazing what a fresh look can do.

Scramble?  Is that the "shuffle" button bottom left?  I've been meaning to ask what that is!!  So I won't lose the words I have if I press that?

If you have a word ready to be submitted and press the zero instead of the Enter key, it will shuffle your letters rather than submit the word. I've done that more than a few times. I mentally kick myself, hit the left-pointing arrow to clear the letters, retype the word, and press the Enter key. I've also accidentally hit the Enter key when I meant to press the zero and received a message about the word not being known (and taken a hit on my percentage)!

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:30:27 AM »
So interesting.  I approach somewhat like you, TRex, with the anagrams.  I had not picked up on alert/alter/later so thank you!!  My favourite is goer / ergo / gore / ogre.  I shall try the shuffle which Birdy and you have suggested.  I try to do one letter at a time in an attempt to not miss the obvious ones (as you say, one thinks one has played a word but, alas, no) but I get distracted and off at a tangent  :-C

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:53:29 AM »
My favourite combinations of anagrams (other than a couple you mentioned, TRex, although I include dite with your second bunch) are:

liar / lair / rail / aril  / lira
cater / crate / react / trace / caret
siren / resin / rinse / serin / risen
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:59:03 AM by pat »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 07:07:18 AM »
I remembered siren / resin / rinse / risen and was going to add it (without serin), but Pat beat me to it.  :)

Even though I've given up trying to get all the common words and only the common words, I still (sometimes) omit words I think of which I know are not common. But if I have any doubt about a word's classification, I'll play it.

Now, if this thread can produce a lot of useful anagram combinations -- and I can memorise them -- I might be a bit closer to a few more rosettes!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »
I start with the first word that pops into my head, then look for anagrams and rhymes.  Then I head for the shuffle button. As for the main word, I may or may not think of it right away. It is sometimes the last word I get.

The problem I have with the Shuffle button is that occasionally I hit Enter instead of Clear once I do think of another word, making my hit rate go down =:o

In addition to the other anagrams mentioned, I like point / pinto / pinot / piton.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »
Another anagram set is 'enlist / listen / tinsel. They were the only three words I missed in the 'solemnity' game last week!  :(
inert / inter / nitre / niter / trine is another set that comes up frequently, but unfortunately only two of them are common.
MK

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
My methods are similar to those already mentioned, although by the end I'm down to random guessing.  I try not to let my hit rate drop below 70% on the 9 and 10 letter puzzles, and try to keep it at 100% on the Challenge puzzle.  I always check the solutions afterwards, including the rare words.  Some of them stick in my mind (like 'eringo' which I'd never heard before, but which I now see regularly.  I've yet to use it in a sentence in real life, however)  I also have imaginary rivals - players at a similar level to me who I try to beat.  I think it would be tactically remiss of me to mention who they are, but they include some regular contributors to the forum!

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
I also have imaginary rivals - players at a similar level to me who I try to beat.  I think it would be tactically remiss of me to mention who they are, but they include some regular contributors to the forum!

Ha! Me too!

But mostly, I expect to get at least 90% of the common words and am put out at myself when I don't.

Gaye Christine

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
I would actually find it very interesting to be able to see how many common words other players have still to find.  I am sure we all share the frustration of having maybe one or two words left (on a good day  ;D).  Would it add inspiration (and enhance Morbius' competitive streak - which I admit to sharing) to know where others are in the puzzle, not just how many words they have in total?

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »
You can already do that, Gaye Christine - just click on the button that says 'Rare' at the top of the scoreboard. 

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
Morbius beat me to it - looking at the 'rare words only' scoreboard for yesterday's 10-letter game, for example, as it stands at the moment I can see that I am on 85, the same as pat, two behind Rogue Mother who is on 87. Gaye Christine is on 81.
MK

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
I meant of course the 'rare words not included' score-board! The one with an x next to the word 'rare'
mea culpa
MK