Author Topic: busman / busmen  (Read 3010 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
busman / busmen
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:59:07 PM »
Busman and busmen - I was a bit surpised to see these words classed as 'rare' in yesterday's Standard (submarine) or are they, and the idiom 'busman's holiday' only common in UK. At the same time I wonder if 'inseam' is used for 'inside leg measurement' outside US/Canada? Not a whinge, a genuine query; I played 'inseam' knowing it from an earlier appearance in Chi.
MK ???

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: busman / busmen
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
Perhaps we are showing our age. 
Here in South Australia I use the term "Busman's holiday," but find myself always having to explain it to the younger folk.

One time I was looking after a bay of elderly ladies. One asked me if she may have a jug of cordial. I said, "Look I'm sorry.  This hospital does not believe in cordial, but I could get you a nice jug of Adam's Ale."  A young nurse in the corner, whom I did not know, loudly told me off:  "You are NOT allowed to give the patients alcohol!"  The four old ladies immediately started laughing. I turned back to the old lady and said, "Tell you what, I will go right now on my Shank's pony and get you that jug of Adam's Ale."  What a wonderful afternoon those ladies had talking about the good old days and things long gone.
I know I picked up these terms from listening to older people, but no-one seems to know them now.  Australian?  English?  I am not sure.  I hope some of you still know them. For those who do not, "Adam's Ale" is water, and "Shank's Pony" is walking.
I am sure many of you can come up with long gone terms.
cheers, ADA

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
My father used the phrase Shank's Mare.

And I am familiar with a busman's holiday.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:01:49 AM »
My Mum & Dad always shortened it to "Shanks" but my friends and I still use Shank's Pony and Adam's Ale.  Another old family saying I remember from childhood.  When I asked the older family members what was for tea - they used to reply "Bread & Pullet".  It meant just plain bread!  My Dad (a Yorkshireman) used to say "I'll go to the foot of our stairs" and if he saw something a bit outrageous "The sights you see when you haven't got a gun!".
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
The word busman seems to be very rarely used except in the expression busman's holiday, and variants such as the Dorothy Sayers book title Busman's Honeymoon. A rare sighting of the word outside the expression is in the 1992 song "The Happy Busman", by Irish band The Frank and Walters.

So I think that as a stand-alone word it is appropriately classed as rare.

However, on inseam I think you have a valid point, MK. British usage seems to favour the phrase inside leg, much beloved in comedy of the double entendre variety, especially "Are You Being Served?" So I'll make inseam rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Re: busman / busmen - inseam
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
I'm not so sure inseam should be rare.  I've heard it all my life and you are still asked for an inseam measurement when ordering clothes.  I don't challenge your knowledge base, Alan, but the fact Britain uses "inside leg" seems insufficient justification for making inseam rare. 
Stevens Point, WI

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »
 I think the general rule is that, to be common, a word should be familiar to native speakers of English in all parts of the English-speaking world.
 As an example, the word 'sidewalk' is not used in UK, but it's familiar to Brits who constantly hear it in American films, TV shows, or song lyrics. Therefore, sidewalk is, quite correctly, classed as common.
 I'm not sure 'inseam' would be as familiar to non-Americans as 'sidewalk'. I can't remember ever coming across it except in Chi - and I have read a lot of American literature.

MK