Author Topic: word suggestion re: july16/17  (Read 3830 times)

ellen fremedon

• Logologist
    • View Profile
word suggestion re: july16/17
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:29 PM »
Hi Alan,

How about the word diener? When I worked at the Coroner's Office, the diener was the fellow responsible for taking care of and prepping the bodies before the autopsy. Not, perhaps the most appetizing of professions, but a quick Google search provided many hits (a number were names). A search on "diener morgue" provided aboaut 12,200 hits--so it is not an unknown word, though you may want to consider it rare.

Thanks

By the way, Linda, I'm hopeful that suggesting this word will qualify me for haghood! >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion re: july16/17
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:57:34 AM »
No question about it, ellen ... consider yourself a true Hag!  >:D

ellen fremedon

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »
Thanks! >:D

I will try to be worthy. >:D >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
...you may want to consider it rare.

Well, I certainly won't consider it common, EF, as I can't find it in any standard dictionary. However, as you note, the word is in some use, and definitions can be found in various sources, so perhaps we should allow it - as a rare word.

It's defined in Mosby's Medical Dictionary:

an individual who maintains the hospital laboratory or equipment and facilities. The morgue diener may also assist the pathologist in performing autopsies.

Wikipedia says:

The word Diener is German for servant. In English, it is generally used to describe the person, in the morgue, responsible for handling, moving, and cleaning the corpse (though, at some institutions dieners perform the entire dissection at autopsy). It is derived from the German word Leichendiener, which literally means corpse servant.

Wikipedia also tells us of the word being used as the title of a TV episode and in the name of a poem. However, there is no entry for it, as an English word, in Wiktionary.

The Wordcraft website gives a definition of diener, noting that "So few dictionaries have this word – it’s not even in OED". This site gives three citations from popular fiction.

In fact, quite a few fiction writers have used the word diener - it's not hard to track down examples using Google Book Search. Perhaps this is a reflection of the grisly subject matter of much recent mass-market writing. Anyhow, it is this usage in fiction that persuades me the word is not too obscure for our list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:11:38 AM »
So nice to know that if I have the occasion to visit the morgue, I'll know who to ask for:  "May I speak to the diener, please?"

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
I think this one may have been missed, Alan. I tried it again yesterday but it was rejected.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
You're quite right, pat. I have overlooked this word.

And sincerest apologies to ellen fremedon - if you're still keeping an eye on the forum.

I'll add the word now. A little over four years from the original suggestion is probably a record. Things move at a funereal pace around here!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Things move at a funereal pace around here!

Heh heh. Thanks Alan.