Author Topic: It's always just one word!  (Read 224248 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: It's always just one word!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 08:21:51 AM »
I'm buying Band-aids by the truckful now, Binks :'( :'( :'(. More dents and scrapes in a year than my kids had in 18 years of football, biking and leaping off rooftops apiece!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
T, you asked how many registered players there are. (You know I can't resist an opportunity to mess around with statistics.)

Currently there are 497 registered players. And they keep joining up in a steady stream - 105 people registered during May.

As a glance at the scoreboard suggests, most of the players of any given puzzle are registered. Since the registration system started in December, 60% of the players tackling daily puzzles have been registered. And two thirds of the 1.9 million words played over that period have been played by registered players.

Despite a few notable exceptions like "mum", we registered players do somewhat better - an average of 39 words found per puzzle, compared to 27 for the unregistered rabble. And a player who gets more than 50 words in a puzzle is three times more likely to be registered than not.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 12:26:45 PM »
Speaking of numbers, Alan - I just couldn't help notice that at the time I read your message about registered players, I had exactly twice as many scores as you. That, however, will change after this post.

I never dreamed I'd ever get this high, or ever pass you, and yet, even my posts pale beside Miss-T's. (misty's? Missed-Teas?)

Interesting, your little study. Left AND right-brainer, you!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »
How velly interlesting....
Nearly 500 registered players....yet less than 10% have joined the forum....boring bunch...
Hey,  they're the ones missing out on all this intellectualism....
 :angel:

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
Digerati....DIGERBLOODYARTI.....YEAH YEAH YEAH...how the blazes am i going to fit that into my daily conversation...???
Common word..???..i must use that nearly as often as i say furuncle!!!
 :angel:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
PRESACTLY!!!  >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »
When I looked at the solution, I somehow knew digerati would be the word T couldn't come up with.

I admit it's probably a mistake having the word labeled as common - I don't know what came over me. (Although it has been around for 15 years, and is listed in most recent dictionaries.) Believe it or not, the word came up once before, in a Challenge puzzle last year, when the nine-letter word was irrigated.

Anyhow, this time around, only 6 players got digerati, probably a new all-time low record for a "common" word. Apologies to all those (including me) who missed the word. And congratulations to those few, obviously including Binkie, who did.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »
Not good enough i'm afraid....
Your apology just won't wash you gossoon....if i gorgonise you for long enough you may feel guilty enough...but only then.... :angel:

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 10:46:24 PM »
Finally, sweated out that LAST common word for today!

As for digerati - hah! That was easy -- NOT!!! But it's the dumb REALLY REALLY EASY one I missed yesterday I just can't believe it. Will go flay myself like some crazed albino Opus Dei monk and atone for blatant stupidity! Can't say which one because it's also in today's standard. One that, of course,  I got within the first second this morning. Ugh! Off to work.

Cheers, gang!  ;)
3-B

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2007, 08:56:53 PM »
The most desperate sight to see on Chi is 'Just one common word still to be found' ... yeah, right, common as muck, I'm sure!!!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »
OH, YES!
The one really "COMMMMONNNN" word that I just LOOOOVVVVVE is the one of Indian origin! Yes, I use that EVERY DAYYYY! Like Mumbai is just like a second home to me!

How did THAT get in there???  ;)

3-B

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »
I take that back ... found it though the spelling is a bit obscure, surely?  >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 09:07:37 PM »
Yep, 3B, think we are both thinking of the same word ... don't care, I can relax now ... sod the rare words!   >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »
Sod 'em ALL!  ;D ;D ;D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 11:22:04 PM »
Oh  *#@k that last common word !!!!!!!   Couldn't agree more, Linda......nothing so infuriating as that cheery little message.
I've twied an I've twied an I fink I'll fwow up wiv fwustwation.   
I'm giving up and going to bed......well done you two (Linda and Threeb)....the only 2 clever enough to find it!

:-Y  :-Y  :-P  :-S