Author Topic: It's always just one word!  (Read 224214 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
It's always just one word!
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:27:07 AM »
Isn't it infuriating when there's only one common word left to find? It doesn't seem so bad when you start, and there are dozens of them, but somehow that last, elusive word drives me mad! Has anyone else found that it's often a word that you could have SWORN you put in, because it's so obvious? I don't check the words I've entered carefully enough, I don't think.....the other day I missed "rice" . Yes, all right, you can stop laughing now. I'm telling you this because I'm stuck, yet again, with one common word to find on the Standard game......sigh      :-\

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Re: It's always just one word!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »
Me too, dear friend! It's dreadful. This is my one day to myself and I have devoted half of it to seeking out the last common word.
That sounds like a good name for a story. The Last Common Word.
Ah well, no regrets, just imagine the moment of pleasure when we find it (15 minutes to go), or the expletives that will pour out of us when we click 'Solution.' I am sure yours will be numerous, colorful, varied, rare and common!
Mancks

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »
At least I'm not the only one, Mancks! We shall have to drown our sorrows together.......except that it's not even 10am here.........a little early even for a seasoned imbiber like me!   :D :D

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 10:12:29 AM »
What was your nemesis, Binks? Mine was CRUDEST! of all the obvious *****####@@@@
Yes, ten is a bit early to start on the bottle. Puts a crimp in your evening drinking hours I find. Happily for me it's just after 8 p.m., dinner done, dogs flat out, I can go and drown my sorrows with a bottle of the CRUDEST white wine from the Peloponnese. It's all Greek to me anyway
Mancks

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »
Would you believe "scud" ? I ask you!!!!!!!!!! :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »
Wotcha '.',
How ya doin?  Have you had a nice day?
It's been lurvely y'ere it as...suns been a shinin all the godfearin day...
I have given up on what is now yesterdays challenge...not enough time for me...
And i find i'm up now todays has started...so thats me till 2ish..i will be a ratty bitch at work tomorrow/today..
Oh Well...nothing new there then...
 ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
'Ello, T, me ol' pal, me ol' beauty !
                                               Had an ordinary day, since you ask.....nothing very exciting happened, apart from a few breathless moments when we thought it was actually going to RAIN! It didn't, needless to say......sigh.
You, a ratty bitch? Never!   Another "anon" at the top of the list at the moment......who ARE these mysterious people?

Take care, mate....don't stay up too late!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »
OOps too late...
It was gone 3 before i got to sleep in the end...and here i am at work feeling...well ok actually......
These anonymous ANONs that keep appearing.... they must be our regular cheaters...
But i think bjs is going to join us shortly...so it will be interesting to find out their secret...
Oh well mate...have a good one...i said a prayer last night that you got some rain..we have got some again today...if only we could share that like we do other things...
 ;)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 11:34:56 PM »
I'm going off to work, truly hacked off at that ONE MORE WORD.

And Binks (pardon, MILADY B), splendid achievement!   :-R :-R Your rosettes in the standard AND challenge are commendable, as always. Maybe I can sneak back in before deadline, but I've got work deadlines, and since they pay a bit more than Chi does, I'll probably have to forego it for today.

Cheers,
3-B  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:36:54 PM by biggerbirdbrain »

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:55:02 AM »
Thanks all...............must say though, that the last common word I found was VERY common, so to speak. I have a feeling it's only used frequently here in Australia, but I might be wrong............

See y'all      :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
well Binkeroony,
You've scuppered me today with the illusive 'just one word'.
Is this a first i ask myself?  [i'm only talking about the challenge game here, because i don't do the standard in ernest...whoever he is???].
In fact you are Top of the list, king of the hill, THEEEE number one....etc...
WELL DONE MATE....good job.
[Please note i do not include the ignoramum in this...]
Off up the big wooden staircase now....get some ZZZZZ's in...
Goodnight one an' all....
 ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 09:08:46 AM »
It's a fluke, I tell you.........and since I don't know what words you got, I can't tell you what it was! Thankyou for your kindly words........but you'll notice that there's no trophy there.(Not that I'm complaining, but I spent FAR too long on the puzzle, and still couldn't get there!)

Sleep well.......sweet dreams    ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »
No fluke, kid. You DID get a trophy in the standard - AND top of the heap for both puzzles! :-R :-R No more laments, dear!

cheers,
3-B ;D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Hi, BBB.........you are gracious as always!  I'm chuffed, I am, since the last word in the standard took me nearly all day, and was almost unbelievable when I found it. Since you, you modest shrinking violet, got them all, you may know which word I mean. (You probably got it straight off...the word meaning "One of two or three small scales at the base of the ovary in a grass flower, believed to be a rudimentary perianth." It's probably part of your everyday vocabulary, isn't it?)
Oops.........the puzzle hasn't closed yet........do you think I just gave it away ?   ;)

Ta muchly again............shall we gird our loins, roll up our sleeves, spit on our palms and prepare for today's bloodbath?

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
oh, yes, Binks. it's that word always on the tip of my tongue just waiting to jump out!

ready set GOOOOOOOOOOOO!