Author Topic: possible spoiler - 10-letter Oct. 7  (Read 3999 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
possible spoiler - 10-letter Oct. 7
« on: October 07, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
fricking -- I was shocked this was not on the list!! Well, perhaps just mildly miffed.

It's all over the internet, in various dictionaries, and I've heard it on the street, movies and TV.

Pretty much it's a derivative of "freaking" or a euphemism ..

The Farley free online dictionary even lists it, making it more surprising why it was not accepted, and is listed thus:

fricking [ˈfrɪkɪŋ] .. adj ... Slang (intensifier) surrounded by fricking idiots
[euphemism.

I sacrificed several points from accuracy double-checking that it would not go through. Hmmmmmmm.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: possible spoiler - 10-letter Oct. 7
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
And another possible spoiler

What about eastside?  Surely this should be allowed if one of the 9 letter words is something similar?!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 12:38:38 AM »
I'm with you on this one, Threeb. Fricking has been a part of the vernacular since before the Rogue Daughters were in high school, and they have been out of college for a decade or more.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
What about eastside?  Surely this should be allowed if one of the 9 letter words is something similar?!

I tried it.

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:36:27 AM »
I tried it too!!
Obsessive rhinophile

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
It's one of those words that you hear rather than see written down, except maybe as f****ing. Is it perhaps a variant of 'frigging' which is a recognised taboo word?
MK

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 08:11:30 AM »
In my experience, frigging (or more often friggin' (I don't typically see it in written form) is used in situations where the taboo word it replaces is inappropriate or unacceptable. It gets by censors on television here. I don't think it would normally be regarded as taboo, but of course it would not be used in polite company (what little of that remains these days!).

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
Has anyone seen the word used in an IT sense? It was quite common where I used to work as a euphemism for a quick fix, either for a programme that wasn't working correctly or for the data that was output as a result of it. I don't know how we came to use the word but it wasn't at all unusual for the solution to a problem to be: 'Just frig it.'

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
You're right about fricking, Threeb. It's in quite a few dictionaries these days, and its use is fairly widespread. And, RM, you're correct in saying the word has been around for quite a while. Apparently Partridge listed it in 1937 in his slang dictionary, so it must have already been in use for some time before that.

As for eastside, I think the case is not so strong, as it seems to be written as two words most of the time. Likewise with westside, etc - Leonard Bernstein wrote West Side Story, not Westside Story. However, the form eastside is occasionally used, and is listed in a couple of dictionaries, so I think it ought to be allowed. And for similar reasons, and for the sake of consistency, westside, northside and southside will be accepted too. 
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
Thanks, Alan.  (and, :angel: -- the opposite of fricking)