Author Topic: Issues with Challenge puzzle of 2011-10-11  (Read 2558 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Issues with Challenge puzzle of 2011-10-11
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:16 AM »
The word quin, which the Free Dictionary says is
Brit short for quintuplet [2] US and Canadian word quint
is classified as common, but the 'US and Canadian word', quint is classified as uncommon. Shouldn't these words have the same classification?

Also, neither uniate nor its variant, uniat were accepted. Is this because they are usually (but not always) capitalised?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Issues with Challenge puzzle of 2011-10-11
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »
You are correct, TRex. Quin and quint should have the same classification. I wasn't aware of quint being used for quintuplets in North America - I just thought everybody called them quins.

So the question is, should they be common or rare? Where a common word is spelled differently in America and Britain, I have generally made both versions common - e.g. odor / odour. But where a word is mainly used in one region - e.g. British doss, American coed - I tend to make it rare.

I think quin and quint are more in the second category, and should both be rare.

As for Uniate and Uniat, they seem to be capitalised in all dictionaries and in the overwhelming bulk of usage.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
Thanks, Alan.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
I wasn't aware of quint being used for quintuplets in North America - I just thought everybody called them quins.

I only ever heard quint before my Chihuahua days. Quin was new to me, so of course I agree that the two words should have equal standing. Thanks.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
I must agree with you; I don't think 'quint' is known in UK, although it can, apparently, also mean 'a run of five cards' in the game of piquet; James Bond would know - he was a piquet player.
MK