Author Topic: New Word Suggestion - Pocho  (Read 16906 times)

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
New Word Suggestion - Pocho
« on: May 19, 2007, 04:34:24 AM »
Pocho - A Mexican who is born and/or raised in the United States

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: New Word Suggestion - Pocho
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:42:39 AM »
How about 'choon'....  "You hum it son and i'll play it.."
I think it is a far more sensible way of spelling 'tune'   because ...the way it is spelt it should be pronounced 'toon'... which is another suggestion...and if it's not allowed it blimming well should be. So there...
 ;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »
"Pocho" is certainly a word, Dean, but is it an English word?

The Oxford says it's informal, frequently derogatory, meaning "a US citizen of Mexican origin; a culturally Americanized Mexican", but the word is printed in italics, indicating it's not regarded as having been fully adopted into English. Random House also gives it in italics, describing it as "Mexican Spanish: Usually Disparaging".

The Double-Tongued Dictionary has an entry for "pocho", including some usage examples, going back to 1946. But, since that dictionary covers "fringe English" not well covered in standard dictionaries, I'm not sure how much weight we should give it for Chi purposes.

So I think "pocho" will have to stay in the pending tray for now.

As for the notion of "choon" as a more phonetic way of writing "tune", suggested by Teknomac - or should I say Anjee? - I'm not willing to open those floodgates. But you can use "toon", since it's a colloquial term for a cartoon or an animated cartoon character.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
There There Dean [my]
It was a worthy try...
And how is your leg Alan...having had it pulled...?  Can't do much about your phonetics can I?
Oh well.....
 ;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:12:17 PM »
Hi T

Are you 'aving a larf?

Anyhow, Miss Smartyboots, you might have a comment about a word I tried unsuccessfully in a recent random puzzle: "todger".

It is found in several of the Oxford dictionaries, sometimes defined as "colloq. a penis" and sometimes as "Brit. informal a man's penis". (I'm not sure what they're getting at with the latter definition - do they mean the word is not used for a boy's penis? An animal's penis?)

Anyhow, I'm inclined to think it should be a Chi word. It's not used much here in Aus. but, judging from TV shows, it seems to be fairly widespread in the Old Blighty.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 06:27:32 PM »
Oh yes Alan...
I have toyed with todgers for some time now....
Todgers all over the place here in the YUK....it's a very common word...some are very esteemed 'Members' of P within the Government......there are some very 'upstanding' todgers in the higher echelons of the Church...we have several 'ball kicking' todgers in our football teams....i have several 'up and coming' todgers who are students.....and have worked with some huge todgers in the past.....[ Not like that!!.  :-[ ..in my dreams maybe!] A very worthy word..and so much nicer than some of the more acceptable alternatives.
Good word... i like todgers.....
 ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:55:57 AM »
Well of course you do, dear........don't we all?    ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 08:26:31 PM »
What about plugin?  Yes?

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:51:40 PM »
  As a gulpin myself, I was mildly miffed to find the word wasn't accepted.. No, it doesn't mean one of extraordinarily rare beauty.....it means a credulous person or simpleton. I just like the sound of it!  :D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:54:09 PM »
Yes Binkie - but what about plugin???

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:08:54 PM »
The only plug-in I found, Linda was the innie on my tummy. I found there is also a plug-inless, which is closer to an outie, which is, of course, a minority group according to the last informal forumite poll.

On the other hand, there is also plug-ugly, which OBVIOUSLY, is NOT YOU, of the enchanted eye, nor is it Binks, who is obviously a gulpin, which I do think really DOES mean "one of extraordinarily rare beauty.' Who CARES what the dictionary says!

Cheers,
 ;)
3-B

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 09:16:12 PM »

A plugin (plug-in, addin, add-in, addon or add-on) is a computer program that interacts with a main (or host) application

Resources for graphics users including plugins, effects and tools for image and video editing

Can I have it now?

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 09:18:56 PM »
 Oh all RIGHT! You can have plugin, but you have to promise to eat all your brussels sprouts first....OK?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »
No problemo, I quite like the odd sprout ... though usually only once a year!  If the last 2 words I can't get today are common, I will eat more than a sprout, I will eat my v. fetching black trilby!  They must be really stupid words - surely?  Give us a hint Binkie, please, it's doing my head in!   >:(

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 09:28:14 PM »
  A hint? A hint? What are you suggesting? That I break my sacred vow of non-diclosure that I took during that gruelling and exhausting Chi initiation ceremony? Shame on you, Linda.  How much are you offering, anyway?