Author Topic: toodles  (Read 3483 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
toodles
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
In searching, I found 3B has used toodles twice, but I see no discussion about the word. I tried it (also without the 's'); both were rejected.  :(

I think it ought to be added.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: toodles
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
...sure, but what does it mean? Is there a singular, a toodle (a tiny doodle(?)), or is there a verb 'to toodle' (doodling while playing a toot on the flute (?))
Toodle-oo, toodle-oo, TTFN, bye-bye for now.
MK

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:00:20 AM »
IMO, toodles is the most common form, but I have no doubt our word-wizard will be able to determine the facts and rule accordingly.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
As MK mentioned, Toodle-oo and toodles are an archaic forms of TTFN (if archaic is defined as before the internet).

This rare species is only to be found rattling around inside the heads of we who have some gray on the outside of our heads.

Correction: It might also be found in some delightful (but older) movies.

I fully support the addition of "toodles" to our lexicon.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
Not to mention 'toodle-pip, old chap.'
MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
Toodle-oo has been around since the early 20th century; origin uncertain, one theory being it came from the French à tout à l'heure. Of course, this hyphenated expression is not playable in Chihuahua.

The OED labels toodles as US colloquial, and it does seem to be little-used in the UK. And in Australia, as far as I've noticed. Among the single-volume Oxford dictionaries, the Canadian Oxford seems to be the only one that gives toodles as a variant for toodle-oo. Wiktionary has a short entry for toodles, without any regional notation.

The oldest example of toodles the OED dug up was from a 1965 script for the TV series Gidget. In 1982, William Safire, in his "On Language" column in the New York Times, called toodles "a shortening of toodle-oo, which can now be heard in American business circles".

It seems clear that toodles is used a lot less often than toodle-oo, even in American usage: see this Google Ngram display. But actually, why go to all that effort when the answer is right here in our forum. Threeb has written toodle-oo four times (with various numbers of Os) and toodles only twice. Case closed.

However, toodles is certainly used often enough to warrant being accepted into our lexicon.

Ciao.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
Were you talking about me behind my homepage?  :angel: Haha!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
But actually, why go to all that effort when the answer is right here in our forum. Threeb has written toodle-oo four times (with various numbers of Os) and toodles only twice.

Good god, Alan, is there no length you'll not go to in your research?

:-V

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
Are you kidding. Alan LIVES for this stuff!