Author Topic: Hard  (Read 4699 times)

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Hard
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
Does anyone else find that some puzzles come easier, and others are like pulling teeth. I had such a hard time with today's. I'm no maven bu can usually get to within three or four of the common words if I work at it a bit. Today--12 still to go! Terrible! And I was off work, so I have  :'(no excuse!

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
Re: Hard
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
I always have this problem. I think that some letters just work for me. I typically avoid any puzzles with Y in them as they are nothing but a headache for me. K always means that I am in for a hard time, though I usually do really well on rare words with the K's.

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »
Does anyone else find that some puzzles come easier, and others are like pulling teeth.

Oh yes!
cb

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:57:36 AM »
Does anyone else find that some puzzles come easier, and others are like pulling teeth.

Yes --- though my Maven days are one in about a thousand games.  The 9-letter 'solution' is like this as well for me --- some days I open the puzzle and see the letters and the word instantaneously.  This usually is the case if it ends in -ING or -ERED or -OUS or is a compound of two common words.  Other days I can look and look and shuffle as much as I want, but the 9-letter word just doesn't materialize.  Those days I end up stumbling upon it by chance (as when I write a form of the word then realize it can be extended to include all the letters).

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »

Absolutely!

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
I find the compound words more difficult. If there's a regular suffix or prefix that's half the battle, but a compound word could go anywhere.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Hi Manx....how are you?

YES is the answer to the question....

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
I usually can get the niner straight away, but tonight I got an uncommon niner (as I was typing it I just knew :-[ it was the nine-letter word for the puzzle) and then struggled to find the common nine-letter word. Oh well.

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
T--Hi there!
I'm just fine! Going through some real estate angst but what else is new.  Looking forward to returning to the UK in 2 years, which is too long a time to be looking forward.
Rachel is in camp, thank heavens. It's been a hard year. Can't think how you manage with two teens, but maybe yours are a bit less spoiled and  more amenable. How are things with you?
Joy