Author Topic: potential spoiler 1st july  (Read 3199 times)

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
potential spoiler 1st july
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:36:38 PM »
please, why isnt unset common?

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: potential spoiler 1st july
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:45:46 AM »
Because the compilers of the list don't cook?

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
Thanks Birdy - I assume that means you use the word often enough - I was thinking how often I have to ask the kids to unset the table after a meal., but I suppose there is unset jelly, custards and the like too

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
I've never heard of unsetting the table. Before dinner we set the table, and after dinner we clear the table.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
It seems to me that, as I've slowed down (drastically) in answering these suggestions, players have slowed down in submitting them. Which leads to the unsettling possibility that any effort I now make to deal with the backlog might set off a new torrent of requests. I don't really want to set that off - I would rather unset it off.

Anyway, to answer your question, smaug, unset is listed by quite a few dictionaries as an adjective, meaning "not set". But some dictionaries note that it can also be a verb: "Put out of place or position; undo or cancel the setting of (anything)"  (Shorter Oxford). I think of unsetting an alarm, for example.

But is it common? In written texts, it doesn't seem to be used very frequently. The New York Times has just one example in the past 12 months: "The only jarring note is that unoccupied tables are left unset save for napkins — as a result, they look positively naked." The Fairfax newspapers in Australia had a handful of examples from the past few years. An example: "...a gift shop which has jewellery, including set and unset gemstones." The Times of London has rather more examples, 23 from around 8 years, although some of these are in the solutions to Polygon, a Chihuahua-type puzzle.

Probably the biggest number of instances I saw were to do with food - jellies, whites of eggs, creme brulees, etc.

In summary, the usage evidence is not strongly in favour of making unset common. However, its meaning is certainly quite clear whenever it is used. That fact, plus the variety of contexts in which it can appear, have persuaded me that it ought to be common.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »
Ugh. Another common word to remember!   :(

I figure the more common words, the lower my chance of getting a rosette -- and I'm not doing so well as it is! (I did, however, manage to get all the common words in the allegedly puzzle without any help the other day ... I was thrilled and let out a whoop!)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »
I wondered what the noise was.

;D

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
I wasn't that loud!

When I got all the common words, my wife didn't even want to bother comparing our lists.

Alan, I did not get a 'new' notification for Pat's post. It seems consistent that the first comment after I make one does not receive the 'new' notification. I even waited for another entry (a-non-amos's earthquake entry -- which did get a 'new' notification), clicked on the 'new' for the earthquake entry and then went to the 'Show unread posts since last visit', but it showed none.  Not a big problem. I can keep an eye on the name of the posters, but thought you ought to know.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
Thank you Alan