Author Topic: Standard 20th May: two words  (Read 2647 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Standard 20th May: two words
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
A couple of queries from this puzzle; firstly, is 'sabra' really a common word? I'm not sure I've ever come across it before; in a Woody Allen film, maybe. Secondly, what about 'bolas' the balls on a string that they throw at the legs of the cows in South America? My dictionary gives this word as singular or plural; perhaps it's worth an 'uncommon' rating?
MK

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: Standard 20th May: two words
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »
I definitely agree about sabra. I don't understand why it isn't regarded as a proper noun and therefore capitalised. Any ideas?

I also thought the word solaria rather questionable as a common word. (But then I also think naiad [in the Challenge puzzle of the same day] quite uncommon, a word I've only encountered in crossword puzzles.)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
I definitely agree about sabra. I don't understand why it isn't regarded as a proper noun and therefore capitalised. Any ideas?

I also thought the word solaria rather questionable as a common word. (But then I also think naiad [in the Challenge puzzle of the same day] quite uncommon, a word I've only encountered in crossword puzzles.)

I'm familiar with the word "sabra" in the Israeli sense of first generation Zionist immigrants - quite possibly from Leon Uris's Exodus since I don't think I've read much other fiction set in Israel, but maybe just from newspaper or magazine use of the term.  Interestingly enough, the Wikipedia article uses both the capitalized and lower case form of the word in the same article for these people.  Since it is based on a native plant, it presumably could be used either way, depending on whether it refers to the plant or the person.

I don't remember ever hearing "solaria," (I'd forgotten the Asimov planet until I googled the word) - I've only heard the plural "solarium", though "naiad" is familiar to me both from childhood readings of classical myths and present-day reading of fantasy literature. 

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
Probably sabra is classed as common because it's a word known to me! However, checking for some empirical backing, I find that the word is not used very frequently. I suspect it was used much more often in the early days of the state of Israel, when most of the Jewish inhabitants were not locally born.

Something similar happened in Australia in the early days of European settlement, when whites born in Australia were known as currency lads and lasses (from the fact that locally produced money was called currency, as opposed to Sterling). These terms have fallen completely out of use in Australia now.

So perhaps the word sabra has become less commonly used over the years. In any case, I agree that it's not so common now, and should be classed as rare.

As for why it is often written in all lower case, it's probably partly because it is derived from the name of a plant - a form of prickly pear - rather than from the name of a nationality. Perhaps also because a key aspect of the meaning is descriptive - born in Israel, not somewhere else. In any case, most dictionaries give it a small S, though at least one mentions a capital S variant. And it is very commonly written as sabra.

As for bolas, it's currently treated as the plural of bola, which is accepted in Chihuahua. It seems bola is another word for bolas. So, the singular can be either bola or bolas, but in either case, the plural is usually bolas. (I say "usually", because some dictionaries allow bolases as an alternate plural of bolas, and this word is also allowed in the puzzle.)

If the term for this weapon in the singular were overwhelmingly bolas, I would be inclined to allow it. But it looks like bola is used quite often, so I don't think I should make a change.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites