Author Topic: Le Mistral!  (Read 3522 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Le Mistral!
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
Am I the only person in the Uk who is fed up to the back teeth with the constantly howling gale? Yes it's great for drying the washing but that's about all.  Yesterday it was a beautiful day here so I took my book and chair out into the garden.  After 10 minutes of my pages being blown about I gave up and went for a walk! As I am sitting here now I can actually hear it whistling and howling around my house.  It's like living in Provence without the wonderful scenery!  :-C
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Le Mistral!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
It's windy where I am, Hobbit, up in Warwickshire, but it's certainly nowhere near a gale. Yesterday was quite windy, too, but perfectly OK to sit outside with a book. You're obviously having it worse than we are.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Hate the wind!  Yesterday was very blustery but not too bad today - we have rain instead but at least it's not too cold.  Apparently the good weather is due to come back soon and it will probably be the very week when our area is inundated with gypsies, travellers and hordes of visitors!!  Don't ask!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:33:56 AM »
Oh Linda - sounds terrible.  We have occasionally had gypsies & travellers in Milton Keynes but not so much lately. Blessed nightmare.  After they had moved them on the authorities used to dig trenches and ditches to stop them returning to the same place.  Problem is it tends to move the problem elsewhere. Are you in or near the Lakes?  I expect you'll be girding your loins for loads of summer tourists? We have a friend in Kendal but sadly haven't been up for a couple of years.  Such a beautiful part of the world.  :-C

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »
Are you in or near the Lakes?

I'd guess nearer Appleby  where the "traditional gypsy horse fair" is held - although there are caravans and horses to be seen for miles around for at least a fortnight either side.

It's been excessively blowy here too, and I absolutely positively HATE strong winds - I can't sleep and get very tense and jittery.  Supposed to be worse tomorrow too :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:11:10 AM by cb »
cb

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Spot on, cb!!  Due to the popularity of the 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' series the police are expecting an extra 30,000 visitors more than last year!!  Nightmare!  I could rant on about it but it's too early in the morning for me and I haven't had my second cup of strong, black coffee yet!

On a much more pleasant note, Hobbit, I used to live in Kendal for a while and go there a lot - such a lovely town and not a gypsy in sight!  >:D

Sorry for the overuse of the !!!!! >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
Oh Linda - you have my sympathy.  It sounds dreadful. I have never watched my Big Fat Gypsy Wedding but from the trailers it looks a bit like "car crash" telly.  I think you're entitled to use as many!!!!! as you like!
CB - am so glad somebody else hates strong windy weather too.
 :-C

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
Thanks, Hobbit, I will!!!!!!!!!!!  >:D

Horrible day here, the dreaded double of rain and wind but still the garden is looking lovely and green.  I have never been to your part of the world but recently met a couple from Chalfont St Peter which I believe is quite an exclusive area?!  They have just bought a third!! home up here so can't be short of a shekel or two!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
It's very windy here too in Dorset...must be all the beans the grockles have been eating for breakfast....!!!