Author Topic: 23 April standard <Spoiler alert!>  (Read 3190 times)

2 tanners

• Logologist
    • View Profile
23 April standard <Spoiler alert!>
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
I admit this one has me puzzled.  Latin, as in the language, or as in latin America etc is "unknown". Latina and latino do exist as rares.

*I* normally spell it with a small l.  Is it because it's a proper noun?  In the case of latin America does such a part of speech as a "proper adjective" exist?  If not, and if it still must be capitalised, then as its discoverer I hereby name this portion of grammar the "2 Tanners Proper Adjective" (c)(TM).  All future use of this part of speech is subject to a licencing fee of 1c (1d for British use and 0.01 Euro for Eurozone use).

Now THAT'S what I call capitalisation!!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April standard <Spoiler alert!>
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
I've only seen it spelled with a capital in Latin America and the language (or should that be Language?).    I think the reason you've seen uncapitalized "latina" and "latino" is because we've adopted them directly from the Spanish where they are not capitalized.

But if you've got a patent on the Big Letters, I'm sure I can find a lawyer who will defend your position.

2 tanners

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
Thanks Birdy.  However, I note that you have now used Big which a 2 Tanners Proper Adjective (c)(TM).  That will be one cent, please.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »
Do you accept paypal?  (note small letters - I don't want to run up my debt too much)

2 tanners

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »
It's OK, PayPal is already trademarked and doesn't charge for its use (it likes the publicity).

No, I don't take PayPal, but since you're in the US, you could go into a gas station and get a penny from the change saucer on the counter (for free) and send it to me US mail (for $1.30).

<thinks>

I'm obviously in the wrong business here...