Author Topic: Any Chi members living in the Carins - Townsville, QLD area?  (Read 9442 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Any Chi members living in the Carins - Townsville, QLD area?
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »
I sure hope not. The pictures of the damage done by Cyclone Yasi are terrible.

Queensland sure has had a terrible streak of horrible weather.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chi members living in the Carins - Townsville, QLD area?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
I have just been watching BBC Breakfast News and the pictures from Queensland are devasting.  My heart goes out to the poor people who have suffered such terrible damage to their homes and disruption to their lives.  TRex is absolutely right, Queensland has had more than it's fair share of truly horrible weather.
How are you all coping with the snow on the other side of the pond?  Think it might be heading our way in the next couple of days.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Just an update on the cyclone, particuarly for people overseas who are interested.
The first death has been recorded - a 23 year old man who asphixiated on generator fumes at the height of the storm.
3 People are currently listed as missing.
2 in Cardwell, one of the small communities at the centre of the storm, the other is a man who went to secure his yacht prior to the cyclone impacting and has not been seen since.

Bambam
Forum user Bambam did note in the Aussie neighbours thread that they were battening down the hatches as they were in the predicted path of the cyclone.
Bambam has not logged in to the forum since Feb 2nd.
I am not sure if that same record applies to playing the puzzle though.
So, if you are out there Bambam, we would certainly like to hear that you are okay.

My thoughts and best wishes go to all Queenslanders during these trying times.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
Bambam posted a comment in Chi-chat (the chat panel next to the Challenge puzzle) 10 hours ago:

Here in Mount Isa being buffeted by strong winds and lots of rain, Yasi has weadened but is still packing a punch, everthing ok so far

Cleverjen is a forumite in Townsville. She also posted in Chi-chat about Yasi's depredations - presumably she escaped any damage herself. She was more concerned about the people in other locations, that felt the full impact of the cyclone.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ilandrah

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks Alan. I tend not to pay much attention to the chat blog next to the game.
Glad to know both Bambam and Cleverjen are well.

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
On the wordy side of things, I was kind of fascinated to notice the media were flitting between "hunkering" and "bunkering" when describing the Queenslanders getting ready for Yasi. We have had hours and hours of television coverage.  It is like Queensland has become a reality show on extreme weather of late.
The post cyclone mess is ghastly.  I wouldn't know where to begin.  Queensland is a huge food growing area for Australia, and most of the crops are ruined.  80% of the bananas were destroyed.  ada

ilandrah

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
My husband also noted hunkering and bunkering ada.

I am getting a bit of weather fatigue myself. Been stinking hot here for weeks now, not really tyical in my area, the humidity has been bad. Nothing of course to what I am seeing on my TV.
The snow storms in the US are also astounding.
Makes me feel bad for sooking about a bit of heat.  :)

Bambam

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
I am overwhelmed by your concern and kind thoughts. Mount Isa came through unscathed, I have no damage to property or loved ones. Experienced really strong winds and heavy rain coming from all sides. There was no signs of traffic or people about, so everyone heeded the warnings and 'hunkered and bunkered' (although this makes me feel like I should have been under a bed or in a corner with my blanket over my head). My heart and thoughts go out to those who lost everything, I have travelled through those regions many times, it is a beautiful part of the Qld coast and it is sad to see it so devistated.
The media had a field day, one would be excused in thinking that they were all up for academy awards. All the reporting, news flashes, warnings and instructions kept alot of people, and property safe, and for that, we are grateful.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
Dear Bambam:

I breathed a big sigh of relief when I read your latest posting and was assured that you are safe and sound. Thanks for letting us know your status.

All best wishes,

nineoaks

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
How are you all coping with the snow on the other side of the pond?  Think it might be heading our way in the next couple of days.

Chicago got hit hard, and pretty much everything closed down for a couple of days, according to what I've heard.  New York had no snow Thursday - this counts as news this winter.  It will start again Friday into Saturday - a "wintry mix" meaning snow, freezing rain, sleet, and rain, depending on where the temperature lines fall.  Not much accumulation expected in the city, though.  My friends in Oklahoma had 3 and 4 foot drifts, lost power a few times (though they have a generator), and were barely leaving the house, except to feed the animals, because of the temperatures - below zero (F.) but much colder windchill.

emcee

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Hi all,

Cleverjen is my sister and I'm extremely happy to report that her, her family and her home all came through the cyclone unscathed. Still without power, hence her non-appearance at chihuahua. They are though alive and well, but a little exhausted, as you can imagine.

emcee

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 03:50:59 AM »
Glad to hear that good news, Emcee!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:06 AM »
Chicago got hit hard, and pretty much everything closed down for a couple of days, according to what I've heard.
Only one day (Wednesday), actually. Area schools were generally closed on Thursday as well, but that was due to the wind chills (sub zero ℉ with a stiff breeze).

Although it was a lot of snow all-at-once, this area is accustomed to dealing with snow. A town of five or ten thousand is likely to have as much or more snow removal equipment as the city of Atlanta (half a million people) which is not accustomed to snow and has little equipment to deal with it.

There are cars in both those pictures!  :)

ilandrah

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
Thanks emcee, glad that all is well with cleverjen and bambam.
Power outages are to be expected I guess. The news said that after cyclone larry, some areas had to wait up to 4 weeks before getting the power reconnected.
That must be really difficult - no cold beer, food issues and no chi.   ;)
Hopefully with all the media coverage, things will move along faster.
Regardless of the politics, every aussie I know is thinking of all the poeple affected, including those currently being flooded in Victoria, and donating as much as possible.
I wish there was more that we could do.

As to the snow Trex - it is a bit of a novelty to me. We are in a temperate zone here and usually only get a couple of inches over a few days in the winter - not enough to even ski on. So those pictures both freak me out and make me envious. lol
Stay warm.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:05:09 PM by ilandrah »

Bambam

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »
It's incredible that Yasi has travelled down through the NT, felt across the bottom of NSW and has hit Victoria with, what sounds like more strength, than what it hit Mount Isa. There are reports of severe flooding, damage and hail even in and around Melbourne. For all Formurites living in Victoria,I hope everything is OK with you. This is the most amazing weather event in our living history.