Author Topic: Standard puzzle for Sunday 19 December 2010  (Read 2227 times)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Standard puzzle for Sunday 19 December 2010
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
I suggest that "inbox" is a common enough term that it could be accepted.  Get with the 21st century, Chihuahua!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Standard puzzle for Sunday 19 December 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
I even remember that one from the 20th century!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
I even remember that one from the 20th century!
:)
I tried it too.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »
You're certainly on solid ground in claiming that inbox is common enough to be accepted, ensiform. I don't have to look outside this forum to demonstrate that - the word was used 6 times by forumites before your query.

Interestingly, Chihuahua already allows outbox, and classes it as a common word. I haven't checked if it has ever actually been possible in a puzzle. I suspect the word got into the source list with the meaning "be a better boxer than", but when I flagged it as common, I was no doubt thinking of email.

Inbox and outbox are among those terms borrowed from the pre-computer office environment, like desktop and folder. The whole terminology of opening and closing files began as a metaphor from manila-bound collections of papers.

But it seems that in this case another term, in-tray (usually hyphenated or as two separate words), was more often used for the physical repository of incoming paperwork. And in-tray is still often used with that meaning, or in a figurative sense, for the tasks confronting a politician or business executive. In-basket is also used. Whoever first used inbox and outbox for components of an electronic mail system may have been influenced by the idea of a mailbox.

Anyhow, there's no doubt that inbox and inboxes should be allowed, and should be common words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Thanks a lot, Alan.  Check your inbox for the bribe I promised.