Author Topic: Odd Happening—Challenge puzzle for Mon. January 31st  (Read 2088 times)

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
Odd Happening—Challenge puzzle for Mon. January 31st
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen this happen before.

There are two nine-letter words found in this puzzle and both of them appear to be  rare

There is one word that I believe would most probably be common.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Happening—Challenge puzzle for Mon. January 31st
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
 >:( I got the two uncommon words, but can't seem to find the common word.  >:(

=============

I just noticed. There doesn't seem to be a common nine-letter word. My display reads (0 with nine letters).

Really odd.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:13:51 PM by TRex »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
Sorry about that. Due to a slip-up by me, there is no common 9-letter word in today's Challenge - but there are two rare ones.

I don't want to go into it in detail until the puzzle is closed, but if you search for either of the 9-letter words in the forum, you will find a discussion from the last time these nine letters came up. It was suggested that the wrong word was common, but I concluded neither of them should be common. I changed the common one to rare, but forgot to remove it as a seed word for puzzles. Oops!

So, if you have the scoreboard set to count only common words, you won't get any stars, even if you find the two niners. But, then again, nobody else will have any stars either.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Alan. For about an hour, I was going bonkers trying to find the common nine-letter word (and feeling quite frustrated!). I hadn't even noticed the (0 with nine letters) up there.  :-[

It was only after my wife started the puzzle and got one of the nine-letter words (and announced it to me which really had me going!) that she commented about the (0 with nine letters) on the display. Only then (dumb me) did I realise there wasn't a common nine-letter word to be found.  :-[

Maybe that will teach me to pay attention to the information which is displayed...... probably not!

At least I got a good laugh at myself.