Author Topic: Plurals in words borrowed from other languages as in CRUDITES  (Read 1879 times)

tiggerbelle

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Plurals in words borrowed from other languages as in CRUDITES
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »
Hi Alan and all

a while ago we could make the word "crudites" in a puzzle - which I noticed but left alone, it being a plural in the original french.  Am I being too pernickety (is that the sp?) to wonder why it was allowed?

Is there a rule about borrowed words?  It seems a bit odd to me to allow a word ending in ess, when the meaning is "raw things".  Is it because it is only commonly used in the plural form, as in TONGS? Strictly, IMHO, the word is "crudité" and we add the ess to denote more than one.

Don't often question allowable words, but I've been chewing on this for a while... ;)

Also Alan, did you see my query about "ranga", earlier?

cheers and thanks as always
Tig

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plurals in words borrowed from other languages as in CRUDITES
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
Crudite(s) is an issue that's come up before, tiggerbelle, and perhaps never quite been resolved. The issue is not related to its French origin, but is everything to do with plurals.

Originally only the plural was allowed - resulting not from any consideration by me, but just the way things were in the word list we started with. Biggerbirdbrain asked why crudite was rejected, and I concluded it should be allowed, and said I would drop crudites and insert crudite. The thread is here.

I added the singular, but forgot about my intention of removing the plural. I noticed the oversight in this post, when considering a similar issue regarding glute(s). At that time, I suggested that perhaps both crudite and crudites should continue to be allowed, as the former is rare and the latter common, and it seems odd to drop a common word in favour of a rarer form. I invited comments, and a couple were submitted along the lines of, "My! that is complicated. You'd better decide, Alan." In the end, I added glute, and allowed glutes to remain as well (and made it common), and left both crudite and crudites in the list.

I'm still not sure which is the best way to go on such cases.

Thanks for reminding me about ranga, tiggerbelle. I've been falling behind on responding to word queries, but I will get to it eventually.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites