Author Topic: Chi's elf  (Read 3739 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Chi's elf
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
I must confess.  This time of year I go down to my wood shop and make toys for needy children.  I do fully realize that this sounds ludicrous these days.  Let's hear it for the ludicrous!

Truth is that I have been specifically authorized (within certain well defined limits) to build toys for the US Marines in their Toys For Tots program.  As a father and a product safety engineer, please trust that my standards exceed theirs.

Most years, there is absolutely no better way to get into the Christmas spirit than to spend some quality time in the workshop doing this.  It pains me to say it, but this year is an exception.

I tried to take the time off to do an adequate job, and it was approved.  Last minute emergencies at work required that I come in anyway, so that plan was laid to waste.  I am trying to make up for lost time, with a deadline looming in the immediate future (25 Dec), doing the best I can over weekends and at odd hours.

At this point meeting the deadline is not looking good. :(
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Chi's elf
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »
It's great that you do this each year - I'm sure the kids love the results.

With the deadline looming, any chance that some of the presents could be given to kids with Hispanic backgrounds on Three Kings Day?  That would give you at least a few extra days.

mymermaid

• Lexicomane
  • Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
Home made toys are the ones children adore the most so I think that is a wonderful thing you are doing and I am sure that they appreciate all the hard work that has gone into it.
Maybe if you give Chi a miss for a few days ???!!!!

Keep the good work up and put a smile on all those kids.   :)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »
The cause is lost.  The deadline is in two days, and I could not do an adequate job if I worked 24 hours each day.

Not that I can, mind you, because emergencies at work preclude this.  I am now requested to find an understudy and train him/her, with zero budget for hiring.  That means I will need to work with what I have, i.e. starting from zero.  It only gets worse.

For the time being I will have to continue working long hours on weekdays and weekends, and the toys will not be finished in time for Christmas this year.

I always have a "plan B".  I will finish making these toys, and will donate them to either the local American Legion or a local pediological cancer ward.  Or both.

We in the U.S. pay much of our military personnel below the poverty level for work we would decline.  Even when I miss Christmas, I might catch a few birthdays?  The cancer ward idea needs no further explanation.  Need knows no season.

-A
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to respond to Mymermaid.

We don't usually spend much time on Chi, maybe a half hour or 45 minutes.  Lately this has been when I come up from the basement (covered with sawdust) and need a break.

I'm sure Alan can verify, if needed.
Carpe digitus.

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
I am sure that Scouts or similar groups may well be interested in helping out.
An advert on something like craiglist might help too. Many communities have free message boards both online and in local stores and churches.
Community colleges might also be interested in running courses on toy making, with all toys made being doanted to charity.
Just a few thoughts that might help out for next year.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
A non...you reserved your place in heaven years ago....