Author Topic: Forum Registration opened again  (Read 5400 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Forum Registration opened again
« on: November 10, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
Around the middle of last year I suspended the normal method of registering as a member of the forum. I did this because we were being inundated by bogus registrations from "spambots". After several months, I tried restoring the registration screen, but the same problem re-appeared almost immediately.

During this time, people have been able to join the forum by sending me an email. While several new forumites have joined in this way, the rate of new membership has been well short of what it was previously.

So I have opened up the registration screen again, but with a new question:

What types of word games do you like most? (This question is to assist in detecting spam operations, so please give a meaningful answer, but only a sentence or so is needed):

Completion of the registration is now dependant on my approval, and I will have a quick look at an applicant's answer to this question, to see if it seems to have been written by a real person. If you're reading this and you're thinking of joining, please do! We don't have any wish to exclude anyone with a genuine interest in participating - you just need to write something vaguely coherent.

Hopefully the new approach will filter out the spam, without discouraging anyone interested in the forum. If anyone has any trouble with the process, please drop me an email about it.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Forum Registration opened again
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
After about an hour, we already have 4 registrations submitted - none of them having provided an answer to the test question, and all showing several other signs of being automated.
Alan Walker

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:02:50 AM »
Hi Alan,

I hope it will be easier to delete the fake registrations with the use of the question.  Too bad there's no way to stop them altogether.  But I'll hope for more real members of the forum, now that it's easier. 

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
But I'll hope for more real members of the forum, now that it's easier. 

It's certainly working so far, birdy. In less than 24 hours, we've had four genuine sign-ups, so it would seem there has been some pent-up demand. (See the topics I've started under Say Hello.)

There have also been 60 obviously bogus attempts to sign up, so there is some unmet demand there, too. Too bad, guys!
Alan Walker

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
Too bad, guys!

He he!

But bad luck, Alan, for having to filter out all the dross.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:43 PM »
It's so nice to see new forumates joining.....

P.S. Viral...loving my books.....