Author Topic: Hi ADA  (Read 5103 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Hi ADA
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:52 AM »
Hello Ada,
welcome to the forum, hope you find it fun, and informative of course!!

technomc [aka T]

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: Hi ADA
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »
Dear Wordstar,
Thank you for your greeting! It has taken me long enough to work out how to join, but I longed to comment a couple of times.  I am in South Australia. I have to rush to work right now but I will try and keep up with the patter on line, when I can.  It will be a bit tricky soon as I am going to the USA in a couple of weeks.  How to do the USA in 20 days - San Fran, Seattle, Yellowstone, Toronto, Niagara, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Las Vegas and 11 hours in LAX. Not only am I Ada Wordaddled, but I am obviously as mad as a hatter to do that lot!
I hope to see lots and lots of autumn trees.
cheers for now, ADA

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
Trees haven't started turning color around here yet - it may not be the best year for color, because we didn't have much rain during the summer.  But maybe by the time you get here...

Welcome to the forum, and to the US!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »
Yes, welcome to the forum, ada.

T (technomc), bless her, welcomes all newcomers to the forum, even though many don't respond, so it's always nice when someone does. I hope you can find the time to chat here - if you're mad as a hatter you'll fit in nicely!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
Welcome, Ada!  So glad you responded to technomc's welcome and look forward to chatting to you on the forum.  Have a fab trip!  >:D

PS to T .... Well done, mate, your perseverance has paid off at last!!  >:D >:D

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:25:22 AM »
Welcome, ada!

And, birdy, apparently we kept all your rain here in the midwest. Seems like it did nothing but rain all summer. I've seen a few of the smaller trees change color, but most haven't yet.

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »
Hello everyone!
Thank you ALL for your greetings.
I'll take what I get to see in the USA and be grateful. Perhaps the trees are waiting for me to arrive before they 'turn'. There has got to be more fall trees to see there than here, although I do live in a tiny spot of cool climate and see some lovely displays.  Last autumn was terrific for one month. 
I watch the USA weather reports most days, and sigh when I see buckets of rain and storms.  USA weather appears on Oz TV at 4.30 a.m. and thereabouts, as a filler, but is better than the long adverts for gym machines, Zumba etc.

Ada is my dog's name, named after Ada Lovelace, the world's first computer programmer and Lord Byron's daughter.  So when you see my posts, think of a giant red poodle.  I know they are called 'standard' but honestly she is bigger than John Carmack, our German Shepherd, also named after another famous computer person. Both named by my Geek-son. Google their names.
cheers, ADA

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Your itinerary sounds formidable, Ada.  But you're missing NYC!

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »
Hi Birdy,
Sorry about giving NY city the heave ho.  I will explode if I try to do anything else.  I have friends who repeatedly only go to New York, or Disneyland.  So much to see, so little time.  Perhaps another trip one day. 
cheers, ADA

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
Oh well, NYC is worth a trip on its own, especially if you like museums and architecture.

My cousin in Massachusetts recently posted some photos of leaves on his driveway - very colorful!  So the color change has begun.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:31:18 PM »
Ada, so glad you are including Washington on your itinerary! I live within spitting distance of our nation's seat of government. Many New Yorkers look down on our city as being a bit provincial, but we have residents and visitors from every corner of the earth. It must be that we sleep at night. ;) Our governmental center has some very beautiful buildings and monuments, and most of our museums don't charge admission.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:58:18 PM »
Well, you know New Yorkers, R_M - they're not too sure that civilization exists west of the Hudson.  Actually, Manhattanites aren't too sure it exists east of the East River or north of 96th St.

I love the museums in D.C. - but I like museums everywhere.

Whyever do you folks in Washington sleep at night?  Don't you have anything interesting to do?

ada

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »
Dear Rogue_mother,  (or Ro_Mo as I refer to you as we play ...)
Chuffed to hear from you; thanks for greetings.
I have set my heart for years in seeing the Smithsonian.  I guess I will be limited to a few sections in the two days we have in Washington.  I expect it to be as great as the British Museum which I saw as much of as possible in one glorious day once upon a time.  Sigh.
cheers, ADA

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
How was your trip, ada? Did you get to see the fall leaves? We had some really stunning displays this year.