Author Topic: "When they sound the last all-clear"  (Read 2594 times)

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
"When they sound the last all-clear"
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
Some of the more antiquated members of ChiLex may remember this song sung in 1941 by our now-ninety-odd-years-old Vera Lynn. (If you don't remember that version then Gene Autrey (The Singing Cowboy, plus Horse 'Champion) also had a version.))
Anyway, with the departure of the World Cup in soccer, that is the feeling I now have. They have sounded the last all-clear; no more vuvuzelas; now more petulant displays.
Peace at last!!!! :) :) :)
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: "When they sound the last all-clear"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »
At first, I had a difficult time hearing the commentators over the vuvuzelas, but after a few matches it was okay. Perhaps the broadcasters adjusted and were able to push the vuvuzelas more to the background. Perhaps I just got used to it and was able to more effectively ignore the background noise. Most likely it was a bit of both. After I and/or broadcasters had adjusted, my wife (who doesn't like football) passed by and asked what the buzzing noise was, so it was still noticeable to her.

I wonder if vuvuzelas will appear in Brazil in 2014?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »
They were a blessing in disguise for me. I find the commentators irritating - when there's nothing happening on the pitch that's worth commenting on, they tend to waffle on about all sorts of irrelevant rubbish, but I don't like to mute the sound altogether because you lose the atmosphere. I found that turning the volume right down to lower the sound of the vuvuzelas had the added advantage of making the commentary virtually inaudible. Result!

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »
For me, the vevusellas were a minor blessing.

As I flick from one channel to another, the sound tends to come in before the picture.  If it's vevusellas, it's probably soccer (UK football) and time to change the channel quickly.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »
Heh heh. Sensible man!