Author Topic: Disallowed word -- Friday 2 July 2010 (Standard puzzle)  (Read 2924 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Disallowed word -- Friday 2 July 2010 (Standard puzzle)
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:31:12 AM »
Even though TheFreeDictionary.com includes the word, the word revocate was not allowed. I suggest it be added to the list of permitted words.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Disallowed word -- Friday 2 July 2010 (Standard puzzle)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:05:45 AM »
That surprises me; it seems a pretty common word to me.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:02:36 AM »
I thought the verb form was revoke.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:22:43 AM »
TR, the Free Dictionary's citation for this one is Webster's Unabridged Dictionary from 1913. Alan tends not to accept words from this source unless they can also be found elsewhere.

As for this word being common, I would say not, unless you speak Latin or Italian. A couple of death metal bands have used this word in their lyrics, but somehow I don't picture you as a death metal fan, ensiform.

I have found another current usage of revocate, other than in death metal lyrics, thanks to my friend Google. In the Singapore military reserves, the soldiers apparently use this term to refer to changing their MOS (military occupation specialty) such as cook, driver, police, rifleman, interpreter, corpsman, etc., judging by some bulletin board discussions.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
I think this discussion has occurred before.  Revocated seems to be in common use in my area and typically refers to a license that has been revoked.  Thus, to revocate a license is to revoke it.  Revoke is obviously a very common word, but I have seen revocate and revocated use.  Still, I can't argue for it too strongly.
Stevens Point, WI

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 01:41:05 AM »
Right you are, Tom, and it was your topic! ;) No success then ... maybe Alan will reconsider.

By the way, Rogue_Father made a rare incursion into Chihuahua yesterday. After reading the above forum posts he was of the opinion that revocate is a real word that he had heard being used.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:54:16 PM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
The last discussion of this - here - was back in March. (Thanks for reminding me, RM!) I think it's too soon to reconsider, but quite probably this is not the last we will hear of the suggestion.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites