Author Topic: septicide  (Read 4388 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
septicide
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:36:56 AM »
It's been so long since I've really read over all the long-ago posts, gang, so I can't remember if this word was ever suggested.

One of yesterday's 9-letter puzzle answers was pesticide. So how about septicide for an alternate 9-letter word? As in a kind of disinfectant.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: septicide
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 05:34:33 AM »
welcome back, Threeb!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:55:35 PM »
Yo, birdy -- I'm just kinda back ... but still stealthy! Lol!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »
Hi, 3B! This is a great idea for a word, for sure. According to Google, there are a couple of products available with this brand name -- a veterinary product that combines an antiseptic cream with insecticide, and an antimicrobial drug for humans that treats drug resistant bacteria. I'm not sure Alan will go along with adding it to the list, but it's an inspired suggestion, nonetheless.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Stealthily creeping back .... oh frabjous day!!  Come on threeb, creep a little faster!

I thought of septicide too but the Free Dic it say no!! 

As for yesterday's word 'digerati' ..... what???  Never heard of it  .... presumably a bunch of computer geeks/nerds who have random access memories and talk in giga and mega wotsits!  I may be wrong; it has been known!!  >:D

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
I have heard of digerati; I think I have even used it. That didn't help me, though. I still missed it! Linda, you are close in your guess. According to Wikipedia it refers more to the movers and shakers of the digital technology world.

More about septicide -- it is also an obcure botanical term that has nothing to do with disinfectants. Also, our young Forummate EdHunter may recognize Septicide as a death metal thrash band from New Zealand.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:36:36 PM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »
I'm creeping, I'm creeping, LL, as best as I can ... though actually, now -- I'm riding, I'm riding -- in a new (to me) Vue SUV since our old van died a most horrible death ... it's too dreadful to describe, really.

And so now, even with the hubby working (thank God for that, then), the little extras again become a bit of an stickywicketytrick (I like that combo!). However, I'm trying me best to be a bit more present at present and hopefully, at future! LOL!

Oh, and do I care that the Free Dic doesn't approve? Well, maybe .. since our great O'GAGL does refer to it at times.

And, R-M, desperate as I am, I'll take the obscure botanical reference, too, but O'GAGL rarely does. Regardless, I'll maintain it's a possibility that there could be acceptance.

.... a hushed silence fills the courtroom as everyone awaits the judge's ruling ....   
 :-Z :-P :-Z

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
Hi Threeb. Good to hear from you!

Isn't septicide the crime of killing seven people?

I can see it as the name for a veterinary product, but that's a registered trade mark, and written, not just with an initial capital, but all in capitals in the manufacturer's information sheet. There seem to be some other products using the name too - including one from around a hundred years ago that was claimed to cure many diseases: "Septicide was an impudent fraud made in Milwaukee and sold as a cure for practically everything from 'cancer' to 'chapt hands'..."

However we're looking for words, not brand names. The botanical term septicidal is in a few dictionaries, and I would probably accept it if it weren't too long. Wordnik says that septicide means the same, with the source being the Century Dictionary, which was apparently an absolutely enormous dictionary published around the 1890s-1910s. I find that a bit too obscure.

So thanks for the suggestion, Threeb, but I don't think so.

But I do have to agree with Linda about digerati - it's definitely not common, and I will change that in due course.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »
Thank goodness - maybe not so thick after all!! 

Thanks, Alan!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
Well, it's just as I anticipated. No matter  --  there will be more.

My hands are looking so chapt -- anyone have a tube of SEPTICIDE around? ;)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 12:43:24 AM »

You're such a wag, Alan.  ;D

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
I was thinking it was the killing of a sept and thus a kind of genocide.