Author Topic: spoiler for Tuesday May 25  (Read 2399 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
spoiler for Tuesday May 25
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:41:56 AM »
Hi Alan,

I was surprised that "bolded" was not allowed.  I've seen and heard it on a regular basis, referring, of course to words like this.  Is it just in the U.S. that it's now being treated as a verb?

Here are a couple of examples I found very easily:

from http://www.wordnik.com/words/bolded

• Even more than that hope, Barack Obama has made it clear (so clear it's in bolded letters on his web site): —Barack, Dont Ask Me - Show Me

To repeat: the bolded is false, and not supported by the link provided upthread.  —Denver Post: News: Breaking: Local
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:46:33 AM by birdy »

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: spoiler for Tuesday May 25
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
I was going to suggest this myself!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »
Birdy, it's not only in the US that bolded is being used in this way. I tried the word myself in the puzzle, but unlike you I wasn't surprised it was rejected, since I know a lot of recent usage trends are not yet reflected in our word list.

(Come to think of it, most of the forumites suggesting words are surprised / astonished / thunderstruck / totally bewildered that their words are not accepted.)

The Shorter Oxford has an obsolete sense of bold as a verb, meaning to embolden, to appear bold, etc. An example of this usage is in the 16th century translation of Apuleius's Golden Ass, by William Adlington:

Then she tooke me by the halter and cast me downe upon the bed, which was nothing strange unto me, considering that she was so beautifull a Matron and I so wel bolded out with wine...

I'll draw a curtain of modesty over the rest of that scene.

The sense of the word that you (and I) had in mind is covered by the Canadian Oxford, which has bold as a transitive verb meaning "set or present in bold type". Wiktionary has this meaning too, but the other dictionaries I looked at haven't caught up with it yet.

I will add this word to our list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:04 AM »
Thank you, Alan.  I figured it was probably just a matter of dictionaries and word lists catching up with verbal trends.

And thank you for sheltering us all from what would undoubtedly have been a surprising / astonishing / thunderstriking / totally bewildering scene, had you continued the quote from The Golden Ass.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:14:40 AM by birdy »

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:56:54 AM »
Would acceptance of  bolded   imply acceptance of  bolding  as well?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
Would acceptance of  bolded   imply acceptance of  bolding  as well?

Good point, AQ. It would indeed.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites