Author Topic: Current Your Puzzles - disallowed word  (Read 2316 times)

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Current Your Puzzles - disallowed word
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
Hi Alan,

In one of the current Your Puzzles, I tried the word "earnings" and was surprised to find that it was unknown.  Although it adds an "s" to earning, it is not a form of the verb "earning", but a noun with a slightly different meaning and not used in the singular form - as I am sure you will understand and research thoroughly in your usual manner.

Cheers,

Rita
Obsessive rhinophile

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Current Your Puzzles - disallowed word
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
In almost every similar situation Alan has ruled the word ineligible because, no matter what its other meaning, it is primarily a form of the verb with -s added.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »
At first glance, this seems to be a similar case to proceeds, which I considered some time back. (Similar even in meaning!) But actually earnings has a stronger case than proceeds, which I accepted anyway. Proceeds could either be an inflection of the verb proceed - "She proceeds to the check-out" - or a plural noun with no currently-used singular form - "the proceeds of crime".

However, in this case, the original verb is not earning; it is earn. There is no widespread usage of earnings other than as the plural noun meaning income or profit, which has no singular form in current usage. So I will add earnings as an allowable word, rhino.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
Thanks Alan - a well considered decision, as usual.

Cheers,

Rhino
Obsessive rhinophile