Author Topic: Tibetan thoughts  (Read 4676 times)

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Tibetan thoughts
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:26:55 AM »
Today's puzzle made me regret that lamrim--the stages of the path in Tibetan Buddhism--is not allowed.

I have also tried torma  on other occasions without success:
here is a little piece on tormas:

Food
Tormas (Skt.: bali) are offering cakes. They symbolize the food offering.  Originally made of dough (in Tibet, roasted barley flour is used,) and also sculpted from butter, they have evolved into elaborately decorated objects.  Since making them is time-consuming and uses resources, people have begun to use clay, wood and more recently, synthetic substances. These include resin modeling products, and at least one Asian company produces small, injection-molded plastic tormas.

Each torma -- which at one time (pre-Buddhism, naturally,) may have been a substitute for a living being -- has specific characteristics that depend upon the deity to whom it is offered. However, all tormas have three fundamental elements: foundation, body, and decoration that symbolize respectively the qualities of body, speech, and mind.

The energies of these qualities are represented by two or three small, rather flat, discs applied to the front of the conical body.  Usually they are in the form of flowers; the rims can be pressed to create the scalloped effect of petals. 

Finally, one or more dabs of coloured butter known as gyab gyen are sometimes pressed onto the "back" (Tib. gyab) of the torma.  This action dedicates the offering: 

. . .  it seals the torma offering so that its essence won't be lost or stolen before you get a chance to offer it.  I've also heard that it's a gesture, as if you were saying, "thus, I offer." ~ ani Yeshe Wangmo

A torma of elaborate design may be decorative, but it is not as important as the action of generosity which it represents.  The colours reflect the nature of the deity to which it is being offered, and can also correspond to traditional yogic principles.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Tibetan thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
Blimey o'reilly,
That was a mouthful Mancks my friend...[excuse the pun..]
Lets hope after all that effort our illustriousmajesticwordyboss lets some of the words in???
;)
I know a good recipe for boiled eggs...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »
Hi Mancklin

I agree "torma" should be allowed. Most dictionaries don't have it, but it's in the Shorter Oxford (and quite possibly the Taller Oxford as well, but I don't have that at hand).

I wasn't so sure about "lamrim" though. I couldn't find it in any general dictionary, although it is in the Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions. But also, when the word is used, it seems to have a capital "L" almost always, and sometimes it's written as two words: "Lam Rim" or "Lam-rim". However, it is written as "lamrim" at some serious-looking Buddhist Web sites, so I have to assume that's an acceptable alternative, not just sloppy typing. So, on balance, I think "lamrim" should go into our list too.

Incidentally, Mancklin, I think it was you who suggested a few words from Jewish ritual a while ago. Are you our resident theologian?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:59:43 AM »
Alas no Alan, but I live in Brooklyn and we have a bit of everything here.

Mancks

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi.
isn't theologian in Queens? I knew it wasn't in Brooklyn...fancy Alan not knowing that??
;)