Author Topic: Raising the Bar  (Read 42498 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Raising the Bar
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2007, 09:46:28 AM »
OH OH!!!
Stand by your beds...Alan is on Patrol....best behaviour now...
Talking of beds i'm off to mine before the new game starts, otherwise i'll be up till God knows what time [it's 12.50 a.m. now] Night all.
;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:49:50 AM by technomc »

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
Sleep well, T. I'll try to keep everyone under control while you're gone. It won't be easy, now that you've raised everyone's temperature, blood pressure and hormone levels, though.  Don't dream of anything I wouldn't !  ;) ;) ;)
Night night,
Binks

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »
All right, you lot! Settle down now!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »
Well, that's a bit better!

Although I suspect it was the arrival of the new puzzles rather than my stern admonitions that quietened things down on the forum.

Binkie, are you willing to share with us the last common word you didn't get in yesterday's Challenge? I'm willing to admit that the two we missed were "arena" and "roar". How humiliating - I feel like I should be thrown to the lions.
Alan Walker

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
I can hardly refuse to share my shameful secret with our GAGL, now can I ?   Wait for it......."RANGE"
Can you believe it? I'm still breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.
Well, all you forumites......I've grown to know and love you all . It breaks my heart to leave you, but I have no option, after yesterday's debacle. (Range, for heaven's sake!)

I have assumed the  lotus position.....I hold my wakizashi  in both hands......I plunge it deep.....

Farewell, dear friends,    aaaaaaarrrrrgh! (Dies gracefully and beautifully to the strains of Madame Butterfly)

:'( :'( :'( :'(

A simple but moving ceremony will be held at a later date.

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
I don't feel so bad knowing that high and mighty can miss out on easy ones like that  :o

I actually felt a little better when I found that one the three that I missed was "PONS" not exactly on my list of the top 100,000 most commonly used words   ;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Well, not that I want to come over all defensive about the word classification or anything, Dean, but see the attached snippet from the Wordcount Web site - it's in the top 22,000!

Mind you, 100,000 is rather a lot of words - almost the full size of the Chi word list, including all the extremely rare words. And the text samples used to compile the frequency table only need to include one article on neurology to give "pons" a boost up the ranks.

It's one of the words that comes up fairly often in Chihuahua (even if it doesn't come up so often in conversation) because it's made up of fairly common letters. As a result, many long-time players have got to know it, so there'd probably be howls of protest if we demoted it.

Alan Walker

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 01:55:59 PM »
Pons was one of the last of the common words that I got yesterday.  It's one I've seen on the list before, but haven't had the chance to use in every day language yet.  ;)

I managed to miss noes.  Another one of those tricky words ending in s that are still allowed!

anonsi

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
I tend to confuse "pons" and "mons", but "noes" is branded in letters of fire....it was one of the first of many unknown words that I've learned here!

Binks

P.S A truly extraordinary word in today's Challenge........I put it in, quite sure that it would be rejected. I still don't believe that it's a real word, and if you get it, you'll know what I mean !

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 04:40:16 PM »
In case anyone's wondering, "mons" is not allowed in Chihuahua at present.

In its most common usage (= mons pubis, a mound of fatty tissue covering the pubic area), it is not a plural, but it can also be the plural of "mon" (dialect for man; also a Japanese family crest). Maybe "mons" should be allowed, by analogy with our decision a while ago on "does", which could be a bunch of female deer, but is more usually a conjugation of "do". Any thoughts?

PS, Binkie, your "extraordinary word" has me agog with curiosity. Now, when I play that puzzle I'll be trying to think of all the most unlikely possibilities. (This isn't just a plot to get everyone else's hit rate down, is it?)
Alan Walker

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
Teehee!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »
THIS MESSAGE IS EXCLUSIVELY AIMED AT T!!!

Good grief, missy, you are a shameless hussy!  No wonder we Brits have such a bad reputation abroad!!!  Actually, I'm jealous ... no Johnny Depp or Michael Hutchence Forumite for me to flirt with.  Come on guys .. I'm quite cute for an old biddy and flirting makes the world go round!!!  Leave it until lunch time though, I'm never at my best before mid-day!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »
This message is for Linda

I am no longer a shameless Hussey....Dean and i have decided to end our taudry affair before it got out of hand... :'(...although i don't know how anyone found out about it....?!? a complete mystery to me....
And as Dean [ :'(] pointed out in a very mature manner...Alan would probably have had to censor anything else forthcoming....[it's obviously just me and a distinct lack of an 'element' in my life but i seem to read sexual connotations in everything... 'mons pubis'.... 'forthcoming'...[once would be nice]...see what i mean....]
Actually Linda, i think your right ..i'm just a flirtydirtygertie... :-[     ...and i don't care....
I shall channel all my pent up frusterations into my word finding....or i may just kick a student or 5....
Later mate...
;)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2007, 09:48:04 PM »
Alan - I would like mons to be included - mainly because I am a slow learner and keep trying it.

Binkie - I have succumbed to your trap - without any luck have tried several words I know aren't words in the quest to find the one that surprised you! How could you do this to fellow Chi-ite?
Gaye
   :)

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »
congrats linda - (through gritted teeth)  just as i'd finished saying "oh well, at least no one has a rosette" in the challange (in a vain attempt to make myself feel better) up popped your rosette. good work!
Of course dozens of people have rosettes and all manner of goodies  in the standard, but i can't even get the nine letter word - feeling particularly dopey at the moment. (i might have to go and watch the telly instead - it has been a long week.

viz
Viz