Author Topic: Raising the Bar  (Read 42507 times)

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Raising the Bar
« on: May 10, 2007, 02:49:50 AM »
Is it just me or is the competition getting tougher out there?  ???

I have already openly admitted that I am not in the same league as many of you (I'm not worthy ;) ).  My goal has always been to be to make it onto the first page of the list, and as a general rule getting a 2 or 3 words over "Best" was sufficient for that.  Lately, I find that getting to the first page is tougher and tougher.  I am curious whether the average scores are going up (and I am being left in the dust), whether the compitition at the top end is just getting stiffer, or whether there are simply more players playing. 

Maybe the Grand Master and Keeper of all that is Chi can shed some of his statistical wisdom on this  ;D

No matter what I still enjoy playing ... even if it is getting tougher on my fragile male ego ... I figured I better say it before someone else does  :-L

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Raising the Bar
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:52:59 AM »
Oh Dean,
you poor baby...
Whatever you get we still love you...but i think the competition is getting stiffer.....
Practice practice practice...makes perfect...[a good memory for obscure words doesn't go amiss either].
Keep the faith..
;)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »
Hi Dean,

I know that I put in more effort now (poor tragic that I am) just to chase that elusive rosette!  I haven't yet given in to the chase for the trophy - beyond my mental and time resources.

I would be interested to know if the average has gone up since these invaluable rewards were introduced.
Gaye
   :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »
I did look at some stats a couple of weeks after the rosette came in, and there was no clear sign of a change in the rate of word finding at that stage. But it certainly seems that standards are going up. Yesterday's Standard puzzle had rosettes practically as far as the eye could see! Admittedly, questions have been raised about a few of the players on that board.

I'll do some more analysis and get back to you.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
 While you're talking of rosettes......how about today's Challenge? I was going to give up hours ago, until SWCBN  appeared from nowhere....surprise surprise, with a score of 124, and a perfect 100% hit rate. Nuff said. "Right" I thought......I girded my loins, rolled up my sleeves, put my nose to the grindstone and my shoulder to the wheel. Result ?  I've torn various ligaments, have internal damage,  and although I somehow managed to equal her score, I STILL HAVEN'T GOT THE LAST COMMON WORD !!!!!!!!!   I see that BBB has found it, but she's the only other one. I really hope I'm not going to have to commit Hari- Kari (or Hari-Kiri if you prefer) when I discover what it is.     

Fatigued, frustrated and FUBAR -ed
Binkie

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:05 PM »
Hoist the flags, Binks! You've really risen up there. Great show!

I've really been enjoying you and T (Viz, Linda, and the rest) with your brilliant posts as well.

You all are truly gifted, witty, astute and vibrant!!
and have made me split my sides, literally, with tears of laughter.
[/color]
Such extreme drama queens!

(thanks for the tip, T - I can make

REALLY BIG LETTERS NOW!!) ::)

Army surplus blankets, indeed!

I'll go back now and see if I can beat the tar out of you -- all in good fun, mind you!

Cheers,  ;)
3-B
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:03:21 PM by biggerbirdbrain »

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
Hi Threeb....you last-common-word-finder you!  I haven't tried the really big fonts yet............where will it all end? Glad we are affording you such pleasure......we try to please! Now, if you could just tell me the last common word............
All the best
Binks      ;D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »
OK, Binks, since you're my pal, and I know how hard you're trying to get that last common word  ... I'll give you a hint --

but I just realized I don't know which ones you already got!!!!

and then, again, everyone else would be so jealous!

Keep at it, old girl (I meant that in a GOOD way)  ;D ;D - I KNOW YOU WILL GET IT!

Cheers,  ;D
3-B

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
Thankyou, Threeb, but my poor little brain has just about had it for the day. I need to conserve what few grey cells I have to deal with minor matters such as finance, insurance etc. I'll leave it to you to keep the banner flying.
Ooooer....now I see that Linda and Gaye have found all the common words too. Am I thick, or what? (Don't answer that)
Off to bed in the hope that the answer comes to me in a dream.

Binks     ??? ??? ???

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:58:50 PM »
hi Dean - i just looked at your score on the standard - i dont think you have anything to complain about - looks good to me.

V
Viz

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:21:39 PM »
Happy to oblige 3b

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »
THANKS, T!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D
3-B

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »
threeb,
from the sublime to the bloody ridiculous......
you are funny.....
You are behaving like a kiddy in a sweet shop....grow up....act your age, not your shoe size....
;)
[get me being all bossy and hootyhoot...]

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 10:47:40 PM »
I'm too old to grow up! I don't wanna grow up! My mother was the grown-up.

And as for the candy shop, I wear my cavities with pride! It took a lot of chocolate to earn them.

AND YOU SHOULD TALK!!! THE ETERNAL CHILD HERSELF!

... you're probably sorry now that you've taught me the secret to the

GIANT LETTERS!

;) ;)
3-b

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 10:51:43 PM »
i am getting a little sick of giant letters  ;D - everything in moderation as my mum used to say.
V
Viz