Author Topic: Raising the Bar  (Read 42512 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Raising the Bar
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »
Thanks for that, Viz - I must say I surprised and surpassed myself today! 

The cap and gown must be inspiring me though I must say I am heartily sick of my bloody photo!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »
Gaye.......my grovelling apologies! I probably shouldn't have said anything at all.....I was just so surprised. Can't say more than that, except that it's not exactly a short word! I don't know where they (the ubiquitous "they")  GET some of these words from. I'm going to have to commit Hara-Kiri again tomorrow.....2 common words I can't find in the Challenge puzzle.
Yes, all right, I know you can't really commit Hara-Kiri twice....a bit like deja-vu all over again, isn't it?
Happy battling!
Cheers,
Binks    :D :D :D

Oh shucks! Just as I was about to post this, I had a warning of a new reply.....and Linda has found all the common words. Well done Linda !  No really....I mean it..........what will it take for a private message...nudge, nudge, wink, wink???????

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2007, 10:25:09 PM »
Hi Binkie - I must say that my final word was one which surprised me ... think laterally!  Don't despair though, you have found way more words than I have and I am giving up for today ... need a cold shower to wash away the beads of perspiration!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »
To echo everyone's plaudits  -  HAIL HAIL OH GLORIOUS LINDA FOR THE ROSETTE!  ::) ::) ::)

Fabulous! Not only are you smart but --
I'm quite cute for an old biddy

But I'm not done yet. You just got there first!

Cheers,  ;)
3-B

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 10:38:39 PM »
Cheers, threebee, keeping my eye on you, you young ferret!  Sure it won't be long before you rain on my parade!  Never been called GLORIOUS before - could quite get used to it! 

Mucho love from little cutie pie!!!   ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
Linda.....I've thunk laterally, perpendicularly, horizontally and diagonally, and absolutely nothing occurs to me. That's it from me.....I'm off to bed....I sincerely hope all this mental activity is doing me some good....warding off Alzheimers' or the like....otherwise I'm not sure if the strain is worth it!

:-\ :-\

Binks

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »
Off you go then, young Binkie, up the wooden stairs to Bedfordshire - I'm sure the sandman will soon be calling to ease your troubled mind and prepare you for tomorrow's struggle!  Sweet dreams!   :-*

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Oh Linda - you woman of contradictions but no contractions! Calling me young gave me such a lift, but slap about ferret, I must protest! No beady eyes here, nor am I covered with THAT much fur! However, I will forgive, because I'm a loving person who cannot kiss her grandchildren (I'm a very YOUNG grandmother!) with the same lips that spoke badly of someone nor pat their cheek with the same fingers that wrote horrible things!

;D ;D
Yer (smooth as a baby's bottom) pal,
3-B

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2007, 10:51:34 PM »
Threebee - ferret is a term of endearment, surely?  Would be worse to be described as being as rough as a badger's ****!!!  I'm sure you are completely fur and bristle free - smooth as a snake in silk pyjamas!!!  ;D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
Thanks, Linda, for the consolation. Perhaps in Britain they find ferrets cuddly and cute, but not one author:

"But there are two things I fear above all else the world over - the hawk and the ferret -- for these bring great grief on me -- and the piteous trap wherein is treacherous death." -- Homer, from "The Battle of the Frogs and Mice."

Need I say more?

HaHaHa! Just a bit of fun. Couldn't resist!

Cheers,
3-B ::)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
Freebee - you are so literate - presumably that learned quote wasn't from Homer Simpson?!!  What's taking you so long to find all the common words!!!  Tee hee - it's not often I can gloat although how you've found so many rare words is beyond my feeble comprehension!  Get ferreting now, young lady!

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2007, 11:27:19 PM »
was it you Linda who first introduced this ferret theme when you said that LMSP was shooting up the scoreboard like a ferret up a drainpipe? do you have a lot of ferrets in in your part of the worlds or is this obsession an individual quirk?
V
Viz

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 11:42:51 PM »
Vizzy wizzy - I believe I am guilty of promoting the humble ferret!  I don't actually like the damned things, nasty little bitey creatures but they are popular here up North, not so much where I live but in Yorkshire!  Anyway, I think it's a good word - it sounds v. cute and I will use it as often as I can!!! 

FERRET  FERRET FERRET ..... F E R R E T

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »
HI my furry ferret friends... ;D
we have a quaint custom here in the YUK....
It is a competition where nubile young men put ferrets down their trousers to see who can keep them there the longest....??!! Don't ask..cos i neither know, understand or care really....and the boys reading this should cross their legs and get a tissue to wipe the empathic tears from their eyes... :'(
The really scary bit, is that the odd[?] ferret or 2 are never seen again.....apparently.... :-\
Literally a hazelnut in every bite....
There's nowt so queer as folk...
;)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2007, 01:01:30 AM »
WHAT ARE YOU LIKE?  Sweet face, indeed!  Yes, I've seen it - you need a cold shower, young woman!  Do you know no shame?   ;)