Author Topic: It's a conspiracy, I tell you!  (Read 7368 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
« on: May 17, 2007, 07:47:41 AM »
Dear Sir,

I note with concern that, yet again, the Standard and the Challenge puzzles contain  several of the same letters. As one who attempts both puzzles, and as one who has problems chewing gum and thinking at the same time, I find this Confusing and Infuriating. Is it a plot ? Are subversive influences at work here? Am I the only one who constantly forgets which word I am looking for?     I suppose the rest of the Chi-ers sail through with nary a backward glance, but I remain, Sir,

Troubled of Tunbridge Wells.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:00:51 AM »
to the woman who used to be Binkie/binks/inkie/inks/ink/ and is now just a symbol..not unlike another great wordsmith 'Prince'...

You're a woman . , of course you can do 2 things at once [minimum]...don't put yourself down..
T ;)
Why do we keep signing our name/initials/etc at the botton of our posts...they say who they are from???

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »
That thought has occurred to me more than once......just to remind ourselves that we really exist, perhaps?
In my case, there's not much left to serve as a reminder. I am starting a new group....PARSON.........People Against Rude Shortening Of Names ..............

. < That's me just there

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
You've become a 'dot on the landscape'....< 4 of you there look!!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 08:09:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »
Dear Troubled of Tunbridge Wells

I can assure you it's not a conspiracy. Or at any rate, it's not a conspiracy to which yours truly is a party. I fell foul of the very same problem in yesterday's puzzles, getting "care" in one of them, but forgetting to put it in on the other one! ["You should take more care," I hear someone saying.]

Depending on your world view, it's either sheer coincidence, or spooky synchronicity.

But I lean towards the idea that something ought to be done about it. That is, the puzzle-generation process could be modified to guard against too much overlap of letters, or at least make it much less likely to occur.

When this issue came up before, I think someone said to leave things as they are - it's all part of the challenge, but I'm still not totally convinced. Any other thoughts? 
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:27:21 PM »
Hey Ano...
What a very attractive photo...is that you????
You have made me feel guilty now...
T ;)

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
yes anon - very nice pic - raising the bar somewhat - now we'll never get my pal T to reveral herself in all her glory - however, i would like to agree with troubled from tunbridge re the very irritating chi habit of coming up with similar words in both puzzles - i actually fear though that i'm clutching at straws to excuse my pathetic scores - yesterday i missed RHEA, and i had got it only a few days ago -  ??? ??? ??? ??? I ask you!
Viz

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »
CHEERS for that PAL ?!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
Oh my! Anonsi is young and beautiful! Well, she has to go, doesn't she? Consider yourself a marked woman, Anonsi!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
sorry, Anonsi, but at my age, I have to start weeding out competitors......which probably means most of the women in the forum.....even T, if she ever gets round to showing her face, which I doubt. Been nice knowing you, though!

.< formerly Binks

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
NAG! NAG! NAG!