Author Topic: lassitude common?  (Read 3131 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
lassitude common?
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
Yesterday's puzzle classified lassitude as a common word. When words like alit are classified as rare (same puzzle), I wonder how the dividing line between common and rare is drawn.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Re: lassitude common?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
I don't know how common lassitude is as a word, but its pretty common for me as a feeling. :-S
Stevens Point, WI

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:47:05 PM »
Me, too, especially when I woke up much too early and haven't had any coffee yet.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
I would classify lassitude as common and alit as rare, TRex, because lassitude is used more often!

It's an alternative to alighted, as the past tense of alight, meaning to get out of a vehicle or to find by chance. We class alighted as common, but not alit. The Corpus of Contemporary American English has 26 instances of alit, compared with 159 for lassitude and 162 for alighted.

Alit is even rarer in the British National Corpus: only one example (from a poem by Ted Hughes, "And the dove alit / In the body of thorns"). This corpus has 88 examples of alighted and 32 of lassitude. I found similar results in Google Book Search and various newspaper archives.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
I thought lassitude was two words anyway, as in the sentence "The dog lassi tude his dinner up very quickly".

Well researched Alan as always.
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)