Author Topic: spoiler Friday 1/15  (Read 3862 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
spoiler Friday 1/15
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »
Are we in the U.S. the only ones cruel enough to describe a fat person as an "oinker"?

And I was surprised that "unkilled" wasn't allowed.  It's used in steel-making, but I would think the other meaning would be even more likely, as in "no [fill in your favorite target - terrorist?  boss?] left unkilled."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:51:55 AM by birdy »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: spoiler Friday 1/15
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »
Birdy, I have never heard this term used for fat people, but I don't doubt that people say it. I myself have tried 'oinker' more than once, nevertheless, because to me, 'oinkers' are fried pork rinds. They are a bit like Cheetos in texture, but without the cheese. Very bad for one's arterial health, but yummy! I'm not sure one can find these in New York; I view them as a Southern treat.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
Maybe I know too many insensitive people.

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
Over here maybe oinkers of the food variety are called 'pork scratchings'....very tasty, but pure cholesterol + salt = disaster. :-H :-H :-H
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
Birdy we call them oinkers too.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:51:27 AM »
I have to agree.  I was really surprised that oinker wasn't allowed.  Around here, oinkers is just slang that refers to pigs as opposed to pork rinds.  Common term, though.
Stevens Point, WI

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:12:27 AM »
Can't say I've ever heard the term. The closest term with which I am familiar is probably porkers.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:19:04 AM »
TR, porker is also the term used in my little part of the world for fat people.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any dictionary listing oinker other than Wiktionary, but that makes up for it, with no fewer than six definitions! These are all various senses of the word pig - literal and figurative, so the delicacy known to Rogue_mother isn't covered.

The Wiktionary entry gives quotes from published books illustrating four of the usages of oinker, so I'm happy, without further ado, to accept that the word should be allowed.

As for unkilled, this is also used occasionally. Unkilled for So Long was the title of the 1968 memoirs of British skiing pioneer Arnold Lunn.

An Elizabethan sermon, "An Exhortation concerning Good Order and Obedience to Magistrates", reprinted in the 19th century and available via Google Book Search, warns against anarchy:

Take away kings, princes, rulers, magistrates, judges, and such estates of God's orders, no man shall ride or go by the high way unrobbed, no man shall sleep in his own bed unkilled, no man shall keep his wife, children and possessions in quietness, all things shall be common; and there must needs follow all mischief and utter destruction both of souls, bodies, goods and commonwealths.

The word was used also by some better-known writers, such as Jack London and Dorothy Parker ("...his blood would swirl with fury that such clods as Mr. Lanier remained unkilled.")

A derived word with such a transparent meaning doesn't really need to be listed in dictionaries, but this one is in the Shorter Oxford: "not killed, still alive".

So, two out of two, birdy!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »
Thanks, Alan.  Amazing how much work we can find to keep you busy, eh?