Author Topic: Health and Safety at Christmas  (Read 5275 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Health and Safety at Christmas
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
For those thinking of singing Christmas songs this year please be advised of the following guidance:

“Elf and Safety and Equality Considerations for Christmas Songs”

The Rocking Song
Little Jesus, sweetly sleep, do not stir;
We will lend a coat of fur,
We will rock you, rock you, rock you,
We will rock you, rock you, rock you:

Fur is no longer appropriate wear for small infants, both due to risk of allergy to animal fur, and for ethical reasons. Therefore faux fur, a nice cellular blanket or perhaps micro-fleece material should be considered a suitable alternative.

Please note, only persons who have been subject to a Criminal Records Bureau check and have enhanced clearance will be permitted to rock baby Jesus. Persons must carry their CRB disclosure with them at all times and be prepared to provide three forms of identification before rocking commences.

Jingle Bells
Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way

A risk assessment must be submitted before an open sleigh is considered safe for members of the public to travel on. The risk assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly if passengers are of larger proportions. Please note, permission must be gained from landowners before entering their fields. To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we would request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.

While Shepherds Watched
While shepherds watched
Their flocks by night
All seated on the ground
The angel of the Lord came down
And glory shone around

The union of Shepherd's has complained that it breaches health and safety regulations to insist that shepherds watch their flocks without appropriate seating arrangements being provided, therefore benches, stools and orthopaedic chairs are now available. Shepherds have also requested that due to the inclement weather conditions at this time of year that they should watch their flocks via cctv cameras from centrally heated shepherd observation huts.
Please note, the angel of the lord is reminded that before shining his / her glory all around she / he must ascertain that all shepherds have been issued with glasses capable of filtering out the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and Glory.

Little Donkey
Little donkey, little donkey on the dusty road
Got to keep on plodding onwards with your precious load

The RSPCA have issued strict guidelines with regard to how heavy a load that a donkey of small stature is permitted to carry, also included in the guidelines is guidance regarding how often to feed the donkey and how many rest breaks are required over a four hour plodding period. Please note that due to the increased risk of pollution from the dusty road, Mary and Joseph are required to wear face masks to prevent inhalation of any airborne particles. The donkey has expressed his discomfort at being labelled 'little' and would prefer just to be simply referred to as Mr. Donkey. To comment upon his height or lack thereof may be considered an infringement of his equine rights.

We Three Kings
We three kings of Orient are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star

Whilst the gift of gold is still considered acceptable - as it may be redeemed at a later date through such organisations as 'cash for gold' etc, gifts of frankincense and myrrh are not appropriate due to the potential risk of oils and fragrances causing allergic reactions. A suggested gift alternative would be to make a donation to a worthy cause in the recipients name or perhaps give a gift voucher.

We would not advise that the traversing kings rely on navigation by stars in order to reach their destinations and suggest the use of RAC routefinder or satellite navigation, which will provide the quickest route and advice regarding fuel consumption. Please note as per the guidelines from the RSPCA for Mr Donkey, the camels carrying the three kings of Orient will require regular food and rest breaks. Facemasks for the three kings are also advisable due to the likelihood of dust from the camels hooves.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose.
And if you ever saw him,
you would even say it glows.

You are advised that under the Equal Opportunities for All policy, it is inappropriate for persons to make comment with regard to the ruddiness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr R Reindeer from the Reindeer Games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence. A full investigation will be implemented and sanctions - including suspension on full pay - will be considered whilst this investigation takes place.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Health and Safety at Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »
You may jest...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:24:52 AM »
Thank goodness someone is finally addressing these potential health/safety problems in the workplace or highway as well as the lack of sensitivity to the feelings of others, like Mr. Donkey or Mr. R. Reindeer.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
This is from an article (apparently serious) in this morning's news:

Santa Claus should swap the brandy and mince pies for carrot sticks and start jogging to children's homes instead of drink-driving his sleigh, a public health expert says.

Dr Nathan Grills, a fellow at Monash University's Department of Epidemiology and Preventative Medicine, yesterday accused Santa of promoting obesity, smoking, drink-driving and other dangerous activities, and said his increasing popularity should be used to encourage healthy living instead.

Read the full article here.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »
Oh! the joys of Political Correctness..

These 'do-gooders' really know how to spoil a girls fun...and everyone elses come to that...

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »
Oh! the joys of Political Correctness..

These 'do-gooders' really know how to spoil a girls fun...and everyone elses come to that...

I agree wholeheartedly. From my knowledge of Santa, he is a most kindly fellow. 
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
I would like to reply to Dr. Nathan Grills in respect to his defamation of S. Claus.

It is well known that Santa delivers presents at 12:00 midnight, and that his schedule would be considered a challenge for anyone not endowed with Santa's abilities.

As per Einstein's relevations, neither space nor time are constant.  They can and will be and are bent, and this happens all around us.

In order for Santa to deliver presents at 12:00 (as it occurs around the globe), Santa must have some control over the progression of time or space (i.e. the space-time continuum).  (How many nine letter words have a double "u"?)

Having control of space-time, Santa is safe.

It is well documented that consumption of alchol will lead to slower response times in driving and other critical activities.  Common sense, if present, would tell us that response time is not relevant if one has control of space-time.  Hello?

Einstein's work also tells us that bending space-time requires a large expenditure of mass-energy.  Dr. Grills is concerned about Santa's caloric intake and total mass?  So am I.  Santa needs to eat more!  Please keep those cookies coming!

Smoking is another issue.  The best I can say is that Santa will be around long after Dr. Grills has been forgotten.

On the whole, the question might be distilled to whether Santa is an appropriate role model.  In this endevour he is competing against football players who cannot stay out of jail and corporate executives who should be there.

Speaking as one who builds toys for needy children, I vote for Santa!

Sincerely,

Chuckles
Santa's elf, number 5281
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »
How many nine letter words have a double "u"?

I wonder...

I'll have to think it over while I do the vacuuming.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:11 AM »
clever!

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
evening RM...isn't this cosy!
 ;D

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »
So cosy I fell asleep in front of my computer and didn't see your message! I have been using a laptop this week (on my lap, yet) -- not conducive to speed games.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area