Author Topic: building toys  (Read 4182 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
building toys
« on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »
Some forumites know about this, others do not.  I really enjoy building toys for needy children.  It's a major part of how I get into the "Christmas Spirit", which means a great deal to me.

I am experimenting with a new toy design, helicopters.  Not all experiments end well.

The helicopters require equipment that is not currently functioning well, resulting in many hours of hand labor to compensate for machinery that my brother ruined.

In previous years I had made biplanes.  Belated reports are that however good the helicopters are, the biplanes are the better toys.  The biplanes do not require the equipment that my brother has ruined.

I am probably going to put the current (non-manufacturable) batch of helicopters on a back burner and buy new oak for another batch of biplanes.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: building toys
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:41:07 AM »
Brothers can be a real pain.  :D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
Santa has delivered new equipment, so all is not lost.

The new plan is to finish up a few of the new toys (helicopters) that require more labor, and then push through a batch of the previous design (biplanes).

I took tonight off to help some musician friends in need.  Not much woodworking got done, but the time was well spent.  I had been meaning to play more music, and they really did need me.

- A
Carpe digitus.

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »
Surely with your carpentry skills you must play a woodwind instrument??????
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »
Alas, no.  I am a mere drummer.

The bad/good news is that with the equipment not functioning well, it took my entire week off of work to produce one toy.  I showed it to a friend, and he gave me exactly the right tool (which has been discontinued by all known manufacturers).

The workshop is back up and running, and I made four of these toys over the weekend.  I have only applied the first coat of finish, and more still needs to be done, but this is major progress.

- A
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
Here is what I am building.
Carpe digitus.

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
What a wonderful toy. It looks a substantial and solid device which a child will be able to pick up and imagine he is a helicopter pilot on dangerous war missions or maybe a cop after some criminals on the freeway. Well done!
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
Or for the pacifists, a medivac helicopter!

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 03:21:26 AM »
I tried to make them generic, so they could be military, police, a news crew, search and rescue, crop dusting, or anything else a child might imagine.

SG, I do try to make them durable enough to last a few decades.

I've also been experimenting with new finishes.  The first layers penetrate the wood and bring out more color, and the top coat is much more durable.  All coats are non-toxic.

I am considering a new design for next year, the SR-71.  I'm not sure I can pull it off, but I have some time to play around with the idea.  It really is one of the prettiest aircraft ever designed.

Oh, well.  It's time to screw together the last batch of helicopters and then start on some biplanes.  Time is short!

- A
Carpe digitus.