Author Topic: Rejected word for Friday 13th - spoiler  (Read 3004 times)

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
Rejected word for Friday 13th - spoiler
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »
Wot! Sideburn not allowed?
I know you have other names for this facial hair in other countries, but I was surprised that the UK word isn't allowed.

CB
cb

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected word for Friday 13th - spoiler
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »
I also was surprised to find that  sideburn  was not accepted.

This word is well-known in the USA as well.

In fact, it seems to have been derived from an American military man—

sideburn

• noun a strip of hair grown by a man down each side of the face in front of his ears.

— ORIGIN originally burnside, named after the American General Ambrose Burnside (1824-81), who had sideburns.

—Compact Oxford English Dictionary

The word  burnside,  which was accepted,  seems to have virtually the same meaning as  sideburn

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
I think burnside probably originally meant "by the side of a burn" - a small stream or fountain or spring - no doubt where Ambrose's family name came from - but I've never seen it used for the facial hair.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
Thanks for raising this, cb. It's brought to light some things that surprised me!

The first thing that surprised me was that sideburn isn't allowed. I didn't think of it when I played Friday's puzzle, but if I had thought of it, I would have been about 99% certain it would be allowed.

The fact is that the plural sideburns is in our word list, but not the singular word. (Its presence in the list doesn't mean anything in practice, because it's the only nine-letter word using that set of letters, and it's not classed as common enough to be the seed word for a puzzle.)

Why do we have sideburns and not sideburn? That leads to the second thing that surprised me - many dictionaries list only the plural word, as if you can only speak about them as a pair. This doesn't seem to make any sense. It's not hard to think of situations where you might want to refer to just one of a man's side-whiskers. Alina Adams did in her 2009 novel The Man from Oakdale: "He had ordinary brown hair, jug ears, chipmunk cheeks, and a smile that stretched from sideburn to sideburn." The author of the article "Gleam Like a Marine" in the magazine Men's Health in 2000 also needed the singular word: "At West Point and Colorado Springs, the cadet sideburn regulations are identical." And there are plenty of other examples around.

A similar issue came up a while ago concerning the word crudite, which wasn't listed in the dictionaries in its singular form.

So, I think the dictionaries that recognise only the plural are in error, and sideburn definitely should be allowed in future.

Another thing that I don't think I knew is the history of the word, as noted by Alonzo Q: that the word originally was burnside, after a US general and politician whose greatest achievement, apparently, was to grow a spectacular set of such whiskers. The word seems to have morphed quite quickly - driven by folk etymology perhaps - into sideburn(s), and also sideboard(s).

There is a chapter about words that exist mainly in the plural - words like mews and trousers, that we have discussed many times in this forum - in a book called Word Watching, by Julian Burnside. I don't have the book at hand, but I'm pretty sure the author never mentioned the example of sideburns, despite its connection with his surname.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:35:03 AM »
Thanks for that Alan.

That's why I love Chi and this forum -not only is playing great fun, but reading the forum is not only entertaining, but I also keep learning stuff!

CB
cb

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
On the 'sideburn' issue, one oftern says to the barber "Can you take a bit of my left sideburn to level it up!" 8)
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »
It is a phrase i use to my barbers regularly steadyguy...

...and my only other word on this subject is 'pants'..... :-R