Author Topic: Can y'all help me with Yawl?  (Read 16613 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Can y'all help me with Yawl?
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:02:49 AM »
Hi Alan,
          I noticed a while ago that you mentioned YAWL and gave a link. I've managed to download it on to my computer, but that's when the problems start. My computer (it's the computer's fault, of course, not mine!) doesn't know how to deal with a tar.gz file.  I confess that I'd never come across one before, and only recently having discovered how to unzip plain old zip files, this seems to be beyond me and my poor PC. Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.      Oh.....just had a thought....would it be cheating to use the same word list that Chi does? Surely not, or you wouldn't have mentioned it would you ? Would you? Is this a clever plot to weed out those who scour dictionaries etc, instead of having all the words somewhere inside their grey cells?    ??? ??? ???

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can y'all help me with Yawl?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »
Hi Binkie

If you have WinZip, it should be able to open the file for you - either by right-clicking on the filename and choosing Open With... WinZip Executable, or by starting WinZip and using its Open function.

But if these won't work for you, I've put a .zip version online at http://chi.lexigame.com/data/yawl.zip. (Right-click on this and choose Save Target As...)

Is it cheating to use this? Well, if you get hold of some program that can whizz through the file and extract all the words using certain letters, I would call it cheating! But otherwise, I don't see that it's any different from using a dictionary. Is that cheating? Well, I never use a dictionary myself when I'm playing, but then I'm not that fussed about the hit rate, so I'm happy to have Chihuahua check each word for me. And I harbour no hopes of ever getting anywhere near the trophy - I feel I've done very well indeed if I can just manage to dredge up all the words that are in the little grey cells, which doesn't include most of the "rare" words.

It would be interesting to hear what other people think about dictionary or word list use. I suppose there is a difference between checking a particular candidate word (to keep the hit rate high) and scouring the list for possibilities. But then, what if you are checking a word and happen to see another possibility?

As far as I'm concerned there are no hard and fast rules about how people should play the game - it's a Web site provided for entertainment, and people can and will use it in whatever manner provides them with entertainment.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »
Wehey!  It worked ! Thanks so much Alan.  Mind you, when I started to look through the word list, I began to have doubts...........it'd take all day to go through it  :D  Still, if I get really stuck, it's there for me to trawl through. Trawl through Yawl....geddit?  ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
Alan - I'm with you regarding never using a dictionary when playing - too much like hard work and this game is purely for fun, right?  If the words don't come to me, then so be it.  I do, however, sometimes do a quick trawl of the Free Dictionary to check out whether my words are real or imaginary but that's as far as it goes for research purposes.

Please, Chi players, life is too short to pore over dictionaries all day!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01:40 PM »
Hey Linda the lexicomane....
You've gone up a notch in my estimation...good on yer girl...
What a lot of 'chi'tterboxi we are!!
Regards as ever,
T ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:17:51 PM »
Oh but it's so much fun getting waist-deep in ludicrously obscure words that you never knew existed!    :D :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »
Me again Binks,
You are a sagacious lady you... positively inexpugnable...and our forum is gemmating with new coquettes...bleeding brill...
 However one fails to comprehend your reference to obscure words...one talks like this continuously whilst gesticulating with two fingers....quintessentially imperative whilst partaking in these linguistic conundrums.
What sayeth you foresooth...
;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:10:13 PM »
Good afternoon T - Glad to see you're back safely from the wicked metropolis!  We ventured down there last year and did some culture vulturing - art galleries, museums etc - and my feet have never hurt as much - of course I don't do sensible shoes ... not yet, at least.  Glad I've gone up a notch in your estimation - don't know why, can only assume it's because I'm not a Chi 'anorak' and can find more interesting things to do with my time other than scour dictionaries for obscure words in order to attain the much prized rosette - will never even attempt the trophy.

Anyway, off to make myself beautiful for the dentist!!!  Yes, I know it's an impossible task but one has to try even at my advanced age!  Speak to you soon.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »
 Methinks I have been subtly put in my place by Linda!!!!!  I DO occupy my time with things other than Chi, honest!  Apart from the usual domestic chores, I do the gardening, including propagating . At the moment I'm keen on drying stuff for potpourri, so my linen cupboard is full of dessicated flowers, seed pods, interesting leaves etc. How do I obtain all this? Why, by going for long invigorating walks with my OH. Admittedly, I only seem to need 4-5 hours sleep a night, so it all fits in.   There........have I justified my dictionary dabbling now?
 Apart from all that, keeping one's brain active is vitally important for someone of my advanced age !  ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »
Oh dear, Binkie, I honestly wasn't referring to you - please don't be cross with me, I'm only little!  By the way, am v. envious that you only need 4-5 hours sleep - 8 hours is the minimum I can cope with and even then I can nod off on the sofa!  Old age is a bugger!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:58:46 PM »
HI LI,
the 'upped a notch' is because you are now a lexicomane...maybe i missed the actual event over the weekend but it didn't escape my notice on my return...
Belated congrats...
;)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:05:16 AM »
Hello T - I hadn't even noticed!!!  Doh!!!  Could escape the notice of a stupid person!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 12:09:13 AM »
Don't know which category the following should go in but thought you might find it amusing.  I used it as part of my essay on the English language and my argument that spelling was v important!!!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabridge Uinervtisy, it deosn’t

mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt

tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is in the rghit pclae.  The rset

can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. 

This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by

istlef, but the word as a wlohe.

What do you think?

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:51:42 AM »
Linda...
you must be telepathetic...because last night when i was thinking about ditties to go on a 'T' shirt i was thinking along those lines and had written down on a piece of paper " slepnilg pobrmels? jsut ask T"...
How coinciaccidental is that...amazing...!!!
We need to meet up...
;)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 04:51:10 AM »
T - I'm supposed to be working at moment but have a particularly docile set of students who are diligently working away without the aid of my vast knowledge!!!   Great minds, indeed, I'm sure we have got a lot in common as I sense a kindred spirit - naughty, but nice!  Wot a larf we could have!!!  Must flee - the smelly student is raising his ugly head and looking blankly and hopefully in my direction!  Ciao.