Author Topic: New Word Suggestion  (Read 17137 times)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
New Word Suggestion
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:04:44 AM »
What about "uber"?  In the U.S., it is often used without the umlaut above the u.  It has a meaning of super/superior.

For some background on the use of uber, see the Wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cber

anonsi

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: New Word Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:51:55 AM »
Following closely behind I am going to suggest FUBAR.  I think it meets the accronym standards set in the rules.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:31:24 AM »
Hi Dean.....funny you should suggest FUBAR.....I came across it for the first time today, and had a chortle at the supposed history behind it ! I assume we're talking about the same thing....although, for the sake of decency, my version is MUBAR....Messed Up Beyond Repair........ :D :D :D :D :D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:45:20 AM »
Ooops.....that should read Messed Up Beyond All Repair....sorry.  ;)

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:09:02 AM »
Yeah Binkie that was what I was thinking of ... I figured I would just leave it to everyone's imagination, but I like your MUBAR version :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:19 AM »
Hey, guys:

FUBAR and MUBAR seem also to be amusing cousins of SNAFU, commonly used in the military ("situation normal  -- all f..... up".), which seems to appear in all kinds of sticky situations  ;D  -- and rarely seen in our little Chi universe, thank goodness.

Cheers,
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 12:44:58 PM »
I'm a bit hesitant about "uber", because it seems to be listed as a prefix rather than a word in its own right. I can see some evidence that people are starting to use it as a word - I saw a Web page where someone said, "This macro is positively uber!" But is this an emerging usage, or just an isolated ideosyncracy?

I have no hesitation, however, about "fubar". It's in a few dictionaries, including the Oxford, so it should be allowed. ("Snafu", incidentally, is already in the word list; in fact, it's classed as common. "Very common!" I hear some of you say.) I'm not sure if "mubar" was being put forward as a suggestion - it does seem to be used a little, but almost always in capitals at this stage, so I don't feel it qualifies for Chi.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
No, Alan, I wasn't putting "mubar" forward as a genuine suggestion......I just thought I ought to bowdlerise a little, for the sake of the sensitive souls in the forum !   :D :D :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:01:45 AM »
Hello Dean,
Where ya been?
We missed you at the forum....
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...sounds like a good line to be used somewhere...
;)

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 02:07:50 AM »
T - Around here I think the funny things tend to happen once you arrive at the forum!  ;)

I guess my status on the forum should be changed from Neophyte to Voyeur   :o ... I enjoy reading what is going on, but I only weigh in from time to time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:09:33 AM by Dean »

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:36:44 AM »
Hi Dean,
well don't be such a featherweight....get stuck in there mate...you can't let us girlies rule the ring...get your gloves on and come out fighting, we'd love to go a few rounds with you on a topic....[not the kind with a nut in every bite!] ....
I like the idea of the voyeur bit though!!....
Later,
;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 07:15:10 AM »
Yes, Dean.......I agree with T (I'd be scared not to, these days wot with her tramping the globe in her 7 league wellies)  that we need more male voices round here. Alan doesn't count, you see. As our Great And Glorious Leader he has transcended mere gender.
Cheers,
Binks ( the member formerly known as Binkie)  ;)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »
Hello Dean, me again...
Just clocked a gander at your piccy... ;D
'Hey, how you doin?'   [said in the Joey tone...]
Fancy a bevvy or 2 one night?
I am on the hunt for a toyboy...you look like you could fit the bill....
If you think i'm fun on the forum...well....I'm much more fun in real life....[ignore the fact that i spend every spare minute, and quite a few unspare minutes doing this...
:-*

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »
I figured it was time to post a pic, although this wasn't really the reception I was expecting ... I would defnitely be up for the job (so to speak) although distance (and my wife) may be an issue! :'(

We are all still awaiting ... with baited breath ... a shot of you in your wellies!  :o
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:38:04 AM by Dean »

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 07:39:30 AM »
Alan doesn't count, you see. As our Great And Glorious Leader he has transcended mere gender.

I am not sure how I would take this ... but I am sure Alan will take it in the spirit it was intended ... ... ... whatever that may have been  ???