Author Topic: other cooking (gumbo)  (Read 24264 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: other cooking (gumbo)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »
Another one that fell through the net  :(

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 06:11:50 AM »
Lol, no that one cracked me up, Pat.

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Fear not!  Joan survived and declared it very good.  It was easy and I shall do it again, especially when I have visitors from overseas.

It was a recipe from Zimbabwe, tho not typically African, and can be done using pork.  I might try that along the way.

I bought Springbok burgers from the same shop and they were much better than the ordinary ones.  Also game is much healthier than other meat as there's no fat and very little cholestrol.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »
It's just catching the little bleeders first....boy can they jump!!!!!

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
Toni, I do not know if this definition is universal, but this is what the cooking instructor told me in New Orleans.

To make an andouille, start with a smoked ham.  Make a sausage from that ham, then smoke it again.

This is a rather spicey sausage, so I am sure there is more involved than just that.  I really don't know what else is involved.  Comments?  Suggestions?  The floor is open to discussion.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 02:10:29 PM »
Tom, you are absolutely correct.  That is the tradition.  Unfortunately, it will not work here.

As you might have guessed, I have several friends who cook.  As far as I can tell, none of them know how to pronounce "andouillle", much less cook it well.

Unless there is some way to ensure that I always get the piece of cake with the Baby in it, this is doomed to failure.

- A
Carpe digitus.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
It ocurred to me that many forumates might not know about the baby Jesus in the cake.

The tradition is to bake a cake with a baby in it (sounds haggish, doesn't it?), no, it's really just a smal figurine.  Whoever gets the piece of cake with the baby has to host the next year's Mardi Gras party.

I got to thinking more about this.  It is true that I am the only person around here who can do this type of cooking.  However, there is nothing in the "rule book" saying that the host has to do the cooking.  If someone else gets the baby, the celebration can still continue.  Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Tom44, thank you very much for the input!  This could work, after all!

By the way, several of my friends have commented to the effect that I am getting way ahead of myself, and that February is a long way off.  My response is that the traditional time to stare planning a Mardi Gras celebration is on Ash Wednesday, so I need to make up for lost time.  We need to get the food absolutely right, one recipe at a time, ahead of time.  Mind you, they do not decline to sample the cooking . . .

A friend showed up that night with his intended.  He volunteered to get the two of them some gumbo, but came back with only one bowl and one spoon.  His idea was to share, and that they would trade off.  Isn't that sickeningly sweet?  That lasted a few seconds.  He got back to the table and took a bite.  She held out her hand for the spoon while he took another bite, then another . . . while commenting that this was really good . . . She was not at all pleased.  When he yielded the spoon, she returned the favor.  He wanted more, but she was too  busy enjoying it.  Ah, togetherness.

- A  :-H
Carpe digitus.

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 12:15:04 AM »
One of the (rather sparse!) advantages of getting older is knowing that some things are not for sharing! ;D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
I got the impression that they did not really expect much of it, but I was happy to exceed their expectations.  I was ostensibly asking for some input, but in reality my intent was to encourage enthusiasm for the event that is yet to come.  Not many around here have had this type of cooking.

On the other hand, they really should have known what to expect.  They have had Andy's cooking on a few occaisions (since I do work with the guy), and they should know by now that I don't bring it on until I think it's really good.

Our site manager (at work) has a conundrum.  He has heard rumors of this gumbo, and he is a really big fan of a good gumbo, but is not sure he wants me to bring it in the next time we have a suitable event.  He does not want to discourage me from bringing in my stuffed mushrooms.

I might need to invent an event, and bring in both.  Of course, I will have to schedule time in one of our environmental chambers for the mushrooms . . .

By the way, I don't know if there are any other engineers out there who also cook.  If so, time in an environmental chamber can be a really good thing.  It can be a refridgerator, or a deep freeze, or a steamer, or an oven.  You program the temperature and humidity over time, leave the food in there, and it's perfect every time.  Please be careful not to leave a mess, since that can really mess up future engineering work.

- A
Carpe digitus.

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
Oh I really like the idea of "multi-purpose" use like that!

What do you stuff your mushrooms with?  I usually use feta cheese and garlic, sometimes spinach, or whatever I suddenly think of, but I dont do them very often.  The lovely big black mushrooms are pricey for me, so it's a now and then treat.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »
Toni, Get some mushroom compost and chuck it on your garden....mushies all the time then....

also:

We can buy 'grow your own mushroom' kits from our garden centres...can you get those ..???

It's worth a try, i had mushies for about 6 months...and am trying more exotic ones now...

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
Not that I have heard of.  I'd love that!  I must see if I can find out more, maybe thay are available here.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
I just got a really big go-ahead from Mrs. A.  The next recipe is ready for me to bring into the pub.

Jambalaya!

It took a few tries, but it's better than any we had in the FQ, so it might pass muster over here.  It's a traditional brown jambalaya (Creole), not the red stuff you can get from a box.

I don't know exactly when this will happen, but it will happen shortly.  Wish me luck!
Carpe digitus.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »
Good luck!  I'm sure it's far beyond my capabilities, but I love to hear about other people exercising their talents!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »
Yes, good luck and tell us all about it.  Talking about food is almost as good as eating it, and far less fattening!  :laugh: