Author Topic: Anyone else frustrated?  (Read 28229 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Anyone else frustrated?
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »
Still no rosettes in today's (Monday 2009-05-25) Challenge puzzle. I, like RM, have one common word to find. I've been wracking my brain without success. Maybe I should start pounding my head against a wall? ? ? ?  Arggh.

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
Re: Anyone else frustrated?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
I feel your pain Trex - though I typically miss a rosette in every game by three or four words.
Some time ago I did suggest to Alan that it might be nice to have hints available, or a word list that reveals the first letter of words. At times like this it surely would help to save my sanity - always when I look at the solution the following day I kick myself for having missed the most obvious words.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
I think in all the time I've been playing Chi I've only managed about 3 or 4 rosettes and I've been one short on a similar number of occasions. Although it's nice to get all the common words it doesn't bother me in the slightest if I fail. I just like to get as many words as I can, in however much time I'm prepared to spend at it, without clues from anyone else.

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:28 PM »
Although it's nice to get all the common words it doesn't bother me in the slightest if I fail. I just like to get as many words as I can, in however much time I'm prepared to spend at it, without clues from anyone else.
I wish I could do the same, but the time I spend at it expands as needed to get the last common word. Unless something tears me away, I'd probably spend all day trying!

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:12:39 PM »
At times like this it surely would help to save my sanity - always when I look at the solution the following day I kick myself for having missed the most obvious words.
How true!

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »
Finally got the last word. Didn't consider it because it ends in an ess. It really isn't a plural, though, and its usage is very different from the word left after removing the ess.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:11:28 PM »
That's the last common I got, too! TR and pat, I alternate between your two attitudes. I was more like TR when I first started playing Chihuahua. I was totally obsessed. No way could I leave a puzzle unfinished. I still like to see them through, but it is less important to me psychologically. I am usually satisfied if I can reach the Maven level, with or without a rosette. I still get a little crazy to "finish" a puzzle if I see that no one else has a rosette yet, or if I see that lots of folks do and I don't.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »
I read the title of this thread and got all excited.... :-R

Let down again!!!!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 07:49:26 AM »
You're just like Linda -- looking at something she's directed NOT to! Hehehehe!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »
It's my permanent state these days Threeb... :-\

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 08:33:26 AM »
Ah, there's that curiosity again! How many of your nine lives have you used up so far, mate?

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 03:09:12 AM »
Went past that about 33 years ago a week last tuesday...

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:39:52 AM »
 >:D >:D >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »
WARNING WARNING - I AM NOT FULLY AWAKE AS STATED BELOW AND HAVE MENTIONED THREE WORDS FROM YESTERDAY'S CHALLENGE IN THIS POST!!  DO NOT GO FURTHER THAN THIS POINT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THEM!!  APOLOGIES TO THE CHI POLICE FOR MY ERROR.  I WILL GO AND THRASH MYSELF WITH BIRCH TWIGS IMMEDIATELY!

I am awake uncommonly early this morning so thought I'd have a glance at the Interweb(!!) before work ... yesterday I needed 3 commons on the Challenge so I thought I'd check out which glaringly obvious words I'd missed.  

1.  Onset (should have got it)
2.  Contuse (should have got it)
3.  Bento (Bento?) .... common as hens' teeth, surely?  Please say it's not just me who doesn't bandy bento around?!!  ???  >:D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:52:58 PM by Linda »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »
(As it WAS yesterday's puzzle, nobody could possibly object to your post, Linda.)

I missed out on 5 common words in that puzzle, but got all the ones you missed, LL. One of the ones I didn't get was obtuse - says it all really.

Maybe bento is not really common. Food words are one of the categories that might be over-represented in the common word list, being one of my favourite topics. But it is fairly common here to have a bento box for lunch. In fact, Japanese food in general seems to have become a very mainstream fast food option - there seems to be a sushi bar in every shopping street or food mall. Is this not so in the UK?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites