Author Topic: History of Chihuahua  (Read 10987 times)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
History of Chihuahua
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »
Hi Alan,

I would love to hear a little of the history of Chihuahua eg what prompted you to develop the program and make it available to all us addicts. Also how other players got addicted.  I personally started looking for something because our local Sunday paper omits their puzzle on Sunday - just the day when I wanted a relaxing challenge!

Whatever your motivation was I really appreciate what you have provided.  Thanks for the game and the forum - both add value to my life.

Gaye
Gaye
   :)

mymermaid

• Lexicomane
  • Israel
    • View Profile
Re: History of Chihuahua
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:15:34 PM »
Hi Gaye,
I have always enjoyed word games, and one day while searching for a new word game and somehow fell into Chihuahua - and now I don't want to leave.

I don't call myself an addict as such - I don't shake and tremble when I can't get to the computer first thing in the morning with my coffee but I will admit to being unsociable to anyone around until after I've put in my mornings words.
I enjoy the fact that the same names are there daily and often use them as my target - feeling very depressed if I don't get the same number of words as they do. I also get very cross with myself if they have the star-word and I can't see it.

Keep up the good work Alan !!!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
I've spent a lot of hours on Chihuahua over the past couple of years, so my problem in writing about it is to keep it succinct, and avoid going into excessive detail. I'm not sure how well I've succeeded in the following. Feel free to skim.

Like many of us, I've been playing the Target puzzle in the newspaper for a long time, in my case, in the Melbourne Age. See http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/puzzles/target.html. Presumably the puzzle is syndicated, but the poor old puzzle-maker gets no credit. Target has obviously been around for a long time: in The Penguin Book of Word Games, published 25 years ago, David Parlett said it had been appearing in the Daily Express for "some years".

We used to do it mainly on the weekend, and come back to it from time to time during the day when a word had suddenly come to mind. Some of our friends did it too, and if we were talking on the phone someone might ask, "Have you got the big word yet?" When people suggested I create a computer version, I was reluctant at first, because I thought there were too many similar games already in existence. But gradually I started thinking that an online puzzle with a daily cycle and a scoreboard would be different from anything else around.

Then in 2005 Web design people started talking about a technique called Ajax, which could produce quite complex interactive applications that would run on a Web site without the user needing any special plug-ins on their computer. As a test of how well this technology would work for online games, I decided to create a daily word-building puzzle, and Chihuahua was the eventual result. This was an early draft of the layout:

I put quite a bit of effort into creating a word list for the new game. I felt that a lot of available lists were much too big and included too many rare words. I already had a list of 3- and 4-letter words that I had built up for my Letterbox game. I wanted a list of 5- to 9- letter words of a similar character. My goal was to identify the words that educated people in English-speaking communities would have a reasonable chance of knowing. Since I've relied on my own judgement in selecting words, the list in practice comprises the words recognised (at least vaguely) by me.

Eventually I had a list of 35,000 4- to 9-letter words (excluding inflections made by adding "S"). I then made a fateful decision: I would also make use of a much larger list, called YAWL. This added 70,000 words to the list, but these 70,000 would be used only in a supplementary role. The puzzle targets and solutions would all be based on my word list, but if a player happened to try a word that was in YAWL, that would be permitted. I honestly didn't expect that many of the more obscure words would be played by anyone. How wrong I was!

Very soon after the game went online, people started scoring way above the "Best" target level. Other players were bemused because when they looked at the solution they couldn't see anywhere near enough words to explain the highest scores. The progress scale was static, and only went a small way past Best, so anyone who played a lot more words would see the pointer glide past the end of the scale and end up somewhere way to the right of the puzzle. So I put the "All words" checkbox on the solution display and introduced the Maven and Cham target levels, with the progress display being re-scaled when you reach "Best" and "Maven".

The name came to me when I noticed that a certain set of letters could make only one word from the standard word list. Actually, I think there were a few words like that, but "chihuahua" was the only cute one.

There have been several changes since the game first went live in September 2005, and there are more to come. But I think it's the players who make Chihuahua what it is. As mymermaid says, it's fun to see familiar names every day and compete against people we feel we know a little bit.

Thanks for your encouragement and support, and keep the ideas rolling in.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
I started playing Target at our local pub.  Someone had a subscription to a London newspaper, and brought the Target puzzle to the pub once a week.

Our circle of friends had a wonderful time competing against each other, and comparing notes at the end of the evening.  We would generally end up with two lists.  One list was for real words, and the other list contained words that really ought to be.

Eventually, the price of the newspaper subscription skyrocketed.  The price of a newspaper is not much, but the price of a newspaper shipped across the Atlantic can be a different story.

We survived for a few years by asking whoever was going to the U.K. on vacation or business to please bring back as many issues as possible.  A week's worth of newspapers could keep us going for seven weeks.  I imagine a few of my friends got really strange looks as they went through customs with large numbers of old newspapers.  No, they really were not hiding anything in the newspapers.

This was not a reliable supply.  We went for weeks or months without a Target.  Once I even made up a Target puzzle, but it just wasn't the same without knowing the target score for "best".

Throughout this time, I occasionally searched the web for anyone who might have a Target puzzle online.  Alan to the rescue!  Thank you, ever so much.

The pub closed, and we found another one.  That one also closed, and we had to find yet another one.  The word gaming has gone on, since now I can transfer the letters from Chihuahua into the Target format, print several copies, and bring lots of extra pencils.

I have tried to convince my friends to join Chihuahua, but to no avail.  They would much prefer doing this with a paper and pencil, among familiar faces and with a pint of Guinness in front of them.  If you notice a day when I am not competing, you can probably guess where I am and what I am doing.

Cheers!
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)