Author Topic: another 9-letter word for today's challenge  (Read 7008 times)

ellen fremedon

• Logologist
    • View Profile
another 9-letter word for today's challenge
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
Good Morning Alan!

What about "hatteries" for another niner for today? The OED says:

hattery
a. Hatters' wares; hats collectively.    b. A hat manufactory.

1823 Chron. in Ann. Reg. 120/1 Silk fabrics, hattery, jewellery and cutlery. 1871 R. S. FERGUSON Cumbld. & Westm. M.P.'s xi. 307 The marble works..the hatteries.

A Google search brings up "about 10,300" hits for the word "hatteries." Many of those hits use the word to mean something like "large quantities of batteries" rather than a place that sells or makes hats.

What do you say?

Ellen Fremedon and Ollie's Dad

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: another 9-letter word for today's challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:27:16 PM »
I found this word, too! It's nice to know I am not alone.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:45:36 AM »
I also thought of, and tried, hatteries.
TRex

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 04:45:54 AM »
Poetically speaking,  looks like practically a galaxy's worth of stars in today's Challenge puzzle!!!

(Not really.  Astronomically speaking,  the number of stars in a galaxy is truly  gigantic.) 

When there are multiple nine-letter words, it is good to see so many stars!!!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
Our word list doesn't have either hatteries or hattery at present, EF & O'sD. As well as being in the OED, hattery is also in the more moderately sized (two-volume) Shorter Oxford:

A place where hats are made or sold. Also hats, collectively.

So that's a good sign. However, I do like to see some evidence that a word does have, or has in the past had, at least some use.

The thousands of Google hits for hatteries seem to be almost entirely mis-scanned representations of batteries. This seems to be resulting from the same phenomenon I noted recently when trying to find examples of realties and everything I came up with was meant to be realities. Website content is increasingly being created by scanning printed texts and running them through an optical character recognition program, and then NOT proof-reading the results.

Hence we get all these false hits in the normal Google search, and even more in Google Book Search. It's all very well having "all the world's knowledge at your fingertips", but if the result is that the Web is an ocean of gibberish, it's not to my liking, I'm afraid. When I checked the Corpus of Contemporary American English I found the same phenomenon - just one hit on hatteries, and that was from a Rolling Stone article about a device that used "AA hatteries". Grrr!

The page you glanced at, EF & O'sD, that caused you to think hatteries is being used to mean something like "large quantities of batteries" was probably this one, from the Caden Said blog, in which a fond parent shares with us the endearing sayings of an infant child. "Caden is just fascinated with trains which require large quantities of batteries now know as 'hatteries'" probably should be read as "...trains which require large quantities of (batteries now know[n] as 'hatteries')" rather than "...trains which require (large quantities of batteries) now know[n] as 'hatteries'".

Obviously the fact that it's so hard to find examples where people actually wrote a word intentionally is a sign that the word is fairly rare. There are better-known alternatives to hattery. Hat shop is probably the expression that most people would use these days, but millinery can also be used, though some dictionaries restrict that word to women's hats. (Milliner and millinery are both in our list, and the latter was the nine-letter word for a daily puzzle last June.)

However, there are some businesses using hattery in their names. There's The Hattery of Georgetown, in Washington, DC - perhaps RM knows of it. Also The Hattery in Katoomba in the Blue Mountains in Australia. And there's even one in Estonia - Punnivinn may know of that one. Since the Estonian website has multiple language options, I am able to infer that Kübarakoda is the equivalent word in Estonian. If that's correct, our Estonian vocabulary is increasing in leaps and bounds.

There's also The Headless Horseman's Hattery, by Kenn Nesbitt, on the Poetry for Kids website. So the word is in occasional use - enough to justify its inclusion I think. So I'll add hattery and its plural to our word list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ellen fremedon

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:36 AM »
Thanks Alan!

We take our hats off to you and your hard work!

EF &O'sD

PS: We bought those hats at different hatteries!  >:D >:D

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:16:30 PM »
for 2009-05-14 (Friday)'s challenge:
asyluming
(to grant asylum to someone?)

TRex

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:19:57 PM »
..or putting a person in one...
I hear it often, every time those nice men who bring me the very long sleeved white jackets, with attractive and fashionable buckles on,  knock on my door   :-R

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
What a fashionista - they even bring the jackets to your house!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:13:17 AM by birdy »

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:25:51 AM »
In a huge big van with a bed in the back Birdy..... :-\

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
I'd completely overlooked TRex's suggestion of asyluming. Sorry, TRex.

I find (to my surprise) that asylum can be used as a verb, meaning either give asylum to, or place in an asylum. The SOED labels it "rare", but there are some examples around of its usage. An example is in Fifty Years (1863-1913), written by the African-American poet James Weldon Johnson to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the emancipation of the slaves:

For never let the thought arise
  That we are here on sufferance bare;
Outcasts, asylumed 'neath these skies,
 And aliens without part or share.                                             

This land is ours by right of birth,
 This land is ours by right of toil;
We helped to turn its virgin earth,
 Our sweat is in its fruitful soil.

So, I will add asylumed and asyluming to our word list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »
I'd completely overlooked TRex's suggestion of asyluming. Sorry, TRex.
I'd forgot about it myself.

Thanks, Alan for the -- as usual -- great research of the usage.