Author Topic: what about this word  (Read 4059 times)

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
what about this word
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
I know it is not grammatically correct but 'earnt' must have evidence of usage surely, and can be considered rare at least?

and 'trove' - I  use it all the time! only rare?

cheers Alan, not ranting, but would love your comment.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:57:15 PM by smaug »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: what about this word
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »
I, too, would have thought that trove would be common, but I have been wrong before.

As for earnt, one might be able to make a case for it. See http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1196799
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »
What an interesting thread that was, R-M.  So nice to see people discussing words and their usage instead of the latest scandal involving people known only for being celebrities.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:13 AM »
where do you find all these sites R-M?
thank you - lets see what the boss man says.
I was prompted to open discussion because of the inclusion of ' asap' recently, and  I reckon any word is fair game now!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
Re Sunday's puzzle: isn't there a variety of metal called semisteel;D

Could be only half of what needs to be added to make iron into steel is added, or metal used for building those lorries called semis.
TRex

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
Earnt is a word I have tried playing myself, smaug, more than once. But when I investigated, I concluded it wasn't a real word. The Pocket Fowler's Modern English Usage (2008) says:

earn   has a past and past participle form earned (They earned £200 a week / earned income), although earnt is found from time to time in newspapers, reflecting its pronunciation and by analogy with learnt

The same book also says elsewhere that, "earnt is not standard, but is increasingly found".

This doesn't quite square with the idea that it is an archaic form, as suggested by some of the contributors in the link RM supplied. And indeed, one of the posts there noted that earnt is not mentioned in the OED, which would seem to rule out any regular use of it at any period in the history of the language. (And note that the Dickens quote is from a magazine he edited, not from one of his novels.)

On the other hand, Wiktionary lists it, labeled "British, rare", and with the following usage note:

This is an uncommon (<0.5% as common as earned in the British National Corpus) but entirely acceptable alternative form of the simple past and past participle earned. Still considered to be incorrect by many, who are largely unaware of the historical development of the English language. Other verbs which can be declined in this way are: learn (learnt), dream (dreamt), spell (spelt).

Wiktionary is compiled by volunteers, so its judgements don't carry as much weight for me as Fowler's Usage Guide. (It was at the foot of a list of verbs with -t and -ed endings that this work singled out earnt as not standard.)

So, it seems to me that earnt is a variant form that is coming into wider use in some circles, rather than an old form that is still in occasional use. It is still not accepted as part of standard English by dictionaries, so I would recommend against any forumites using it in their Nobel Prize acceptance speeches, but it does seem to be used quite frequently in professionally edited publications, such as British and Australian newspapers and some books, especially non-fiction.

The Times Online Style Guide prohibits the word:

past tense of verbs almost always prefer the shorter form using final -t where appropriate; eg, spelt not spelled, dreamt not dreamed (though NEVER earnt for earned)

However earnt does appear about 134 times in the Times Online index, including an example as recently as two days ago ("...the company earnt £4.1 million in the year ending March.")

I could find no examples in the books at Project Gutenberg, but there were numerous hits in Google Book Search.

With the level of usage it now has, I suspect that earnt will eventually find its way into the dictionaries as an alternate form of earned. But in any case, it does seem to have become part of the language used by quite a few writers, and I think we should accept it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
thanks Alan. Superbly reasoned
cheers