Author Topic: cyber  (Read 2668 times)

TheFlock

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
cyber
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
we were very disappointed that this wasn't allowed!  not that it would have helped our score much...

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: cyber
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
I thought about trying it, but didn't, because I figured it was a prefix, not a stand-alone word.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
I thought so too, at first, but then I googled it and there were lots of "stand-alone" examples.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »
My first thought was, like RM's, that cyber- is a prefix, but cyber is not a word. But you're right, Birdy, there are plenty of examples where it is used in a stand-alone way.

Judging by the texts in the Corpus of Contemporary American English, the word blossomed in the mid-90s. The first half of that decade has only 15 examples using cyber, while the second half has 205.

Only a few dictionaries have caught up with this usage. One that has is the Oxford Dictionary of English:

adjective
relating to or characteristic of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality: the cyber age.
- ORIGIN 1980s: abbreviation of cybernetics.

We obviously need a short word with such a meaning, but cyber probably wasn't an obvious choice. Cybernetics was coined by Norbert Wiener in the 1940s to mean the study of control and communication in both natural and artificial systems. (The prefix comes from the Greek for steersman, also related to govern.)

The path by which cyber- came to be used specifically for information processing machines could be an interesting study, but surely one of the key links must be the Cybermen of Doctor Who - according to Wikipedia, they first appeared in 1966, long before cyberspace (William Gibson, 1983) and cyberpunk (1984).

Anyhow, the word cyber will be admitted to our list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
Thank you, Alan, I'll make sure NatalyaPetrovna knows you've okayed our word!