Author Topic: lieut  (Read 1789 times)

dennisaubrey

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
lieut
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:14:03 AM »
hi there

having had success with "beaut" recently, i tried "lieut" today [abbreviation of lieutenant] and not only was it not considered common, it wasn't even considered a word at all. there is a song from ww2 which includes the phrase "salute the lieut". i have heard ex servicemen use this abbreviated form in casual conversation. what do others think? d.a.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: lieut
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
Hi Dennis

I believe the song you have in mind is G.I. Jive, 1944, by Johnny Mercer. The song-writer can be heard singing it on this YouTube clip. (A great version was recorded by Louis Jordan, and was, I think, the best-selling performance of the song, but I couldn't find a clip of that.) The problem for your argument, Dennis, is that the song was mocking the military penchant for abbreviations, and the letters of LIEUT are clearly spelled out, not pronounced as a word:

If you're a P-V-T, your duty
Is to salute the L-I-E-U-T
But if you brush the L-I-E-U-T
The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T

I can't resist also quoting these lines from the song, although they have nothing to do with the issue at hand:

Chuck all your junk
Back in the trunk
Fall on your bunk
Clunk!!

Somehow, they don't write lyrics like that any more.

Back to lieut. Dictionaries that list it generally give it a capital L or a following full stop/period, or both. And that's the way it seems to be written normally, too. I think it would be used more often as a written abbreviation than in speech. And when it is used in speech, it would usually be as a form of address, where a capital letter would be appropriate. As in the one example I found where the word was used in dialogue in fiction: "You know why they sent us spitting distance from Germany, Lieut?" (from a 2008 novel set in WWII, White Flag Down by Joel N. Ross.)

So, sorry Dennis, but I'm not convinced.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites