Author Topic: Chihuahua gets a tune-up  (Read 4489 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Chihuahua gets a tune-up
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
A few days ago I made some changes to the way the site works, to try to reduce the problems people have occasionally been having of inability to load a puzzle, or words that were played not showing up in a later session.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone notices any improvement in reliability on the site - or, for that matter, the converse. The day after I changed the site, I got an email from a player who could no longer play at all. I assume this hasn't happened to any forumites, or I would have heard about it before now. But if you experience any new problems, please let me know.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Chihuahua gets a tune-up
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »
Haven't noticed any difference Alan.  Whatever you did hasn't affected me.  Keep up the good work - if what you've done has helped others who've had problems.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:27:37 PM »
Viral, you work tirelessly on our behalf....thank you.

No differences here as yet...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
Actually, Alan, whatever you did seems to have solved my fingerprint sign-on problem!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:11:20 AM »
I spoke too soon there, Alan, the problem is still there. I've noticed something about it that makes me wonder if it's a javascript issue. There are two conditions under which I ALWAYS get the sign-on pop-up: one is if I click the left arrow to retrieve the previous word (the word is displayed, followed by the sign-on request) and the other is if I click on a player's name (the box containing their details displays and then as soon as I close it I get the sign-on request). It's all very strange, especially as I don't have the problem on any other site.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
Pat, there is a keyboard method of bringing back the last word - pressing the comma key. I'd be interested to know if that also triggers your sign-on pop-up. I suspect it won't, because it's possibly something to do with the left arrow "button" you click actually being a link element on the page. Maybe your fingerprint software detects a link being activated, and therefore expects a new page to be loaded, so it looks for user name and password fields (which are still there, although hidden).
Alan Walker

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
I tried the comma, Alan, and yes it does also trigger the sign-on pop-up. Curiouser and curiouser.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:44:06 AM »
Have you changed something, Alan? The two conditions that triggered the sign-on pop-up no longer do so. Or at least they're not doing so at the moment!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »
Nothing's been changed since 6 March, Pat. It's possible your browser's been using a cached version of the site until now. Or then again, maybe your fingerprint sign-in system is able to learn from your responses in some way??
Alan Walker